2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 6:30 AM by philmodjunk

How to Capture and Use Find, Constrain and Extend Criterion of a Found Set

illumine

Title

How to Capture and Use Find, Constrain and Extend Criterion of a Found Set

Hi all,

First, I consider myself a novice FileMaker user.  I've read through some -- not all of the FileMaker 10 Missing Manual, and understand the basics of the application, more or less.

That said, I am attempting to improve a layout geared toward providing some rudimentaty analysis of specific data from thousands of records contained in one table.  I want the layout (and a report) to show the user what Find criterion was entered to arrive at the found set being displayed.  The resulting field (in browse mode) or label in a report should reflect the criterion as a sort of "bread crumb," "how-the-heck was this found set derived?" trail for the user.

I found one earlier posting, http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/58d539de01, which seems to touch on the topic but doesn't seem too clear as to how one captures and then puts to use one or multiple Find criterion, constraint, or extension for the now displayed found set.

It seems that such a task will require a "Find" button with an associated script to capture the user-defined search criteria, store that criteria in some fashion (global variable or global fields?), and then have them available for the use described above.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

DC

• 1. Re: How to Capture and Use Find, Constrain and Extend Criterion of a Found Set
          illumine

Just tinkering a bit and wondered if a script would do what I'm after if it were executed from, say a button on my "Analysis" layout and was written in such a was as to force user-entered Find/Constrain/Extend criterion through dialog box interaction, then taking the results for each interaction and either 1) concatenating each criteria to the backside of a global varible, or 2) doing the same in a global field.  Then taking that string from either the variable or the field and put it into my layout field or onto a report.

Am I chasing up the wrong tree here?

• 2. Re: How to Capture and Use Find, Constrain and Extend Criterion of a Found Set
            philmodjunk

WIthout knowing how/why you will need to use the extend and/or constrain options its difficult to answer in detail.

This thread lists numerous scripted find examples where the user enters criteria into global fields and then performs a script that uses the data in the global fields to set up criteria and perform a find. That data entered into the global fields would still be there after the performing the find and might serve as your "bread crumbs" listing what criteria was specified for the report.

Scripted Find Examples