4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 5:19 PM by BillTrant

How to change a layout based on one label to a different label

BillTrant

Title

How to change a layout based on one label to a different label

I am using FileMaker 11 v3 Pro and am unsure as to how I change a layout that is currently created based on a particular Avery label to a different label.  The current layout is based on an Avery 6490 label and I want to change the layout so as to base it on an Avery 5160 label.  I know this should be easy but I can't see how it is done.  Any tips would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to change a layout based on one label to a different label
          philmodjunk

Option 1:

Enter layout mode and select new layout. Follow the steps to create a new labels layout for the Avery 5160 layout.

Update any scripts or buttons that go to the original layout to take you to the new layout instead.

Option 2:

Note the exact dimensions of header, a single row of labels (as measured from the top edge of one label to the top edge of the next label) and the footer strip as well as the number of columns of lables that make up a page.

Use the position tab of the inspector to adjust the height of the header, footer and body to exactly match these dimensions. Use the printing tab in layout setup if you need to change the number of columns.

Both Options:

Use Preview mode to check your results and make small adjustments to the part sizes if needed. (Sometimes the last row of labels won't print on some printers without this adjustment--even with option 1 sometimes.)

Print to plain paper, put the page on top of a page of labels and on top of a light source (I use my computer monitor) and check to make sure that things fit as expected.

• 2. Re: How to change a layout based on one label to a different label
            BillTrant

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.  I was trying to stay away from Option 1 so I first went to Option 2.  Unfortunately I was not able to use this option because the Inspector did not show any values for the height, etc.  In fact the boxes where the values should have been were all grayed out.  This may have been because there was a Portal in my original layout - not sure about this.  So I then decided to go ahead with Option 1 and, after quite a bit of fooling around with the Portal thing, I was able to get the layout I wanted.  As you suggested I had to modify a number of scripts that were pointing to this layout as well.

Thanks for steering me in the correct direction :)

• 3. Re: How to change a layout based on one label to a different label
              philmodjunk

Not sure where a portal comes in here. I would have needed to see how your layout was designed.

The Height box will be greyed out until you click a part label to select it. Then it will show the height of that layout part.

• 4. Re: How to change a layout based on one label to a different label
                BillTrant

I see what you mean.  Oh well, not to worry as I did manage to create the new layout using your Option 1 so everything's good now :)

Thanks so much for your help with this - as you will have probably guessed I am somewhat a novice with FileMaker but I am learning.