2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 6:50 AM by Antony

How to change an External ODBC Data Source without breaking links in FileMaker

ntay

Title

How to change an External ODBC Data Source without breaking links in FileMaker

I have a FileMaker database that references an external database on a SQL server using ODBC.  In my FileMaker database I have created many table occurences, calculated fields and even scripts to excecute SQL queries which reference this external data source.  In other words, I have a lot of time invested in it. 

Recently, we purchased an upgrade from the vendor of our external database which was installed next to the old version on the same server.  The new version has all the same tables and mostly all of the same fields as the old version.  I was hoping I could just change the Data Source setup on each machine running the FileMaker client (using the Administrative Console in Windows) to point to the new external database instead of the old database.  However, when I tried this, FileMaker kept showing the data from the old database. 

Does anyone know how I can point my FileMaker solution to the new external database so that all the table occurences, calculated fields, scripts and layouts that were referencing the old external data source would now reference the new one?  I REALLY don't want to have to rebuild all of this integration.