3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 7:35 AM by philmodjunk

How to change fill color in Browse or grant layout modify rights

RodKuehn

Title

How to change fill color in Browse or grant layout modify rights

My customer would like to print out reports for public display.  For aesthetic reasons, he'd like to vary the color scheme of the background and data fields.  This consists of a global container field for the background, a repeating container field for the day and a text field.

I've been unable to change the fill color of any of these fields in browse mode.

I also tried giving the privilege set rights to modify the layout but it won't "take."  Layout mode is still inaccessible by any of the normal options. 

I also tried creating a new privilege set from the data entry set and giving it rights to modify all layouts.  That doesn't take either. 

In other words, there appears to be no ability to allow layout modifications.

I'm using FMP11 advanced v3 on a pc. 

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: How to change fill color in Browse or grant layout modify rights
          davidanders

A new database does not allow you to enter Layout Mode?
               Preview Mode? Find Mode?

In Layout Mode, clicking on the Body Tab will allow you to change the color of the Body (or Header, Footer, etc)

A list of links for FMP - including YouTube Channels focused on Filemaker
          http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

The yzysoft link is a free open database that is designed to allow custom printouts (various themes you buy).

• 2. Re: How to change fill color in Browse or grant layout modify rights
            RodKuehn

We have a misunderstanding.  The developer account / privileges of course allows full access.  No problems.
                 The customer account / privilege set works fine for most purposes.  I'd like to allow this privilege set the right to modify one layout so they can adjust the fill color of the three fields.  I have been unsuccessful at modifying the security settings to permit such access.  The setting accepts the change but I'm still unable to access layout mode.

• 3. Re: How to change fill color in Browse or grant layout modify rights
              philmodjunk

I do not recommend that you allow your user to modify layout designs. This can lead to a lot of support head aches when the general user modifies the layout design in ways that keep your database from functioning correctly.

It should be possible to set up conditional formatting such that a user can select from a list of options for fill and text colors. And calculation fields that select from a repeating field with a different colored rectangle in each repetition--and a related table can also be used for this, are also something that can be set up so that the user selects a color and sees it on their report layout--all while in browse mode.