1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 11:12 AM by mrvodka

How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?

tonymit

Title

How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?

Hello,

We recently got a new OSX server, and had to move our data around.  It was previously on a second drive on the server, and now everything is on one big drive.  I imagine this means that the "Path to Documents" need to be changed.  I've tried updating it but changing it and clicking "Update" but the path text below doesn't change, so you need to be logged in as an admin to change it?  Also, can you have spaces in the volume name?

I can flip through the records just fine, but when I click on the documents tab I cannot open any documents found within, so I suspected that the pathing is the culprit.  The documents exist, but their displayed pathing is obviously incorrect.

Also, will this change the pathing on all of the existing documents, or just new ones?

Thanks for any help you can get me!

• 1. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
          davidanders

Filemaker Referenced file filepath

There is File: paths and filemac: paths and filewin: paths

These paths can be relative - meaning the database and referenced files (pictures or PDFs or etc) are in the Filemaker folder or subfolder (directory or subdirectory) or subsubfolder (subsubdirectory)

IF the location is NOT in the Filemaker folder, it must be defined as an ABSOLUTE path

The paths can be absolute (meaning the path goes from HD (or server) to folder (directory) to subfolder (subdirectory) to possible subsubfolder (subsubdirectory) to filename.ext

Absolute paths can be local (on your computer) or remote (on a server or network drive)

You can make a set of fields for file: and filemac: and filewin:

PathHD is the harddrive or servername

PathDir (or PathFolder) is the top enclosing folder or directory

PathDir2 is the next enclosing folder or directory

ETC (keeping the files near the top level of the harddrive or server is smart)

PathFileName is the name of the file.

These Global Fields apply to all the referenced files (PathFileName is not Global)

A calculation field concantenates the Global fields and filename to the container path.

Thus if the location of the referenced files is changed - to another folder or another server or another harddrive, only one or two or three Global fields need to be changed to change all the paths for referenced fields.

Relative

The path to a target file specified from the current database’s location. If the current database is opened remotely, the path starts from the local FileMaker Pro directory

file:directoryName/fileName

filemac:directoryName/

filewin:../fileName

Absolute Full local or remote (Mac OS)

The absolute path to a target file or folder, either local or on a remote volume, beginning at the top level of the file system

filemac:/volumeName/directoryName/fileName

filemac:/volumeName/directoryName/

Full local (Windows)

The absolute path to a target file or folder in Windows, beginning at the top level of the file system

filewin:/driveletter:/directoryName/fileName

filewin:/driveletter:/directoryName/

EXAMPLE Drive C: in directory “MyDatabase” in subdirectory “Images” contains images or files (MyFileName01 eg.)

filewin:/C:/MyDatabase/Images/MyFileName01

filewin:/C:/MyDatabase/Images/

Full remote (Windows)

The absolute path to a target file or folder on a Windows volume shared using Windows file sharing

filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/fileName

filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/

FileMaker Network

The network path to a container has a reference path to a file? FileMaker Pro file

fmnet:/hostIPaddress/fileName

• 2. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
            tonymit

Hello,

That clears up quite a bit, but I do have another question with this part:

"Thus if the location of the referenced files is changed - to another folder or another server or another harddrive, only one or two or three Global fields need to be changed to change all the paths for referenced fields."

Where are these Global fields located?  I am very fresh to FileMaker, so I apologise if this knowledge is more run of the mill.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
              mrvodka
                 Its s storage option under your field storage options.
              • 4. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                tonymit

Would thos be located under File > Define > File References, or possibly File > Define > Database?  I actually cannot get into those two menus as the account I have isn't the admin account, but I am hoping I will get a callback later today with that info.

I imagine the admin account would be nessecary to make these changes, right?

• 5. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                  tonymit
                     Scratch my previous message, I have the Admin account credentials now.  I've also learned that they use a plugin called Troi to help with the linking of the files and the database, does that ring any bells?
                  • 6. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                    mrvodka
                       Sure. I use Troi File all the time.
                    • 7. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                      tonymit

Excellent.

It would appear that some background on my issue is in order at this point, as I was already looking up the Troi information and noticed a few things.

In the previous environment they were running FileMaker 7 Server Advanced on their OSX 10.4 server, and FileMaker Pro 7 on their three workstations.   Their server (among other maintenance) is now running 10.5, which I am told is not compatible with FM7 Server Adv.  Plans to upgrade to FileMaker 10 are underway, but nothing has been ordered yet.  To just get things up and running for now I threw a copy of FileMaker 7 Pro on the server so that it could be set up for network sharing.

It would appear that Troi is a server-only plugin, or at least it will not work on Pro, is that the case?

• 8. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                        tonymit

At second glance, I don't see the Troi file resident in any of the server Library directories underneath the extensions folder, and I find that I am also mistaken in my original thinking and that it does work in Pro.  Is it possible that the plugin simply never was on the server?  Does Troi require the existance of Server or Server Advanced on any node on the network, or can it work in a purely Pro network?

Basically what this all boils down to is I know the data has moved and I want to make sure I have all of the settings changed that I need before I bring this server back.  On the "Documents" tab my documents all have an incorrect file path listed, but I am not sure how to change that.

Also, shouldn't the user be able to open the document just by clicking its icon?

• 9. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                          mrvodka

It can work in a purely Pro network.

I dont know much about your setup or why you no longer have valid paths. Switching out from server to a pro as a host shouldnt really have any impact if your system used the plugin to copy the file to a shared drive.

• 10. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                            tonymit

Well, previous the server had two, small drives with their Library related files on their first drive and their documents on the other drive (I.e. all the docs and pdfs etc that are referenced in the database.  This second drive was named Docserver, and a folder on the root of it was called CompanyDocs.  On the Admin tab of FileMaker Pro 7 when I open the database it shows a path of "Docserver:CompanyDocs".  I figured this needed to be changed, but for some reason it doesn't appear to be changing.  What makes me think this is at the bottom of the Admin tab there is a text box that you can type in, and I have changed it to be "Company 500gb RAID: Docserver:CompanyDocs", (Note, while the quotes are actually in what I typed, the extra space after a colon is not and was added here to avoid making a smiley) with Docserver in this latter case simply a folder on the root of the drive.  Essentially, its HDName:Subfolder:Subfolder.  However, after I click update and close and reopen the file though the text I put in still shows beneath it I see a line of text displayed showing the old location.

However, a thought occurs.  The Docserver drive is a share on the machines.  Is it possible that the Troi plugin, running locally on the workstations, was seeing this Docserver share and the CompanyDocs folder within?

Given that Docserver was the server name, drive name, and share name I'm really trying to weed out what is what.

• 11. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                              tonymit

Possibly some pictures may be of help?  Note that essentially when you see Company you can read it as Merit.  The pathing below is actually Merit 500gb RAID: Docserver:MeritDocs, despite what the text says.

This is what I see now on a document:

You can see the path in that document is still the old location, so one concern of mine is how to change it.

• 12. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                                mrvodka

"Is it possible that the Troi plugin, running locally on the workstations, was seeing this Docserver share and the CompanyDocs folder within?"

The only way to tell is follow the scripting.

I can not see your images because of a company firewall.

• 13. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                                  tonymit
                                     Would such scripting be client side?  Also, how can it be accessed?
                                  • 14. Re: How to change the "Path to Documents" in FileMaker Pro 7 after a data migration?
                                    mrvodka
                                       Well firs you would need an account that has access to the scripts. Then you can open the manage script window. Find the script and trace.
                                    1 2 Previous Next