3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 1:38 PM by philmodjunk

How to change username symbol

ToddNolan

Title

How to change username symbol & update value list within a runtime

Hello to All. 

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the name attached with a username symbol? If so, how?

2. Is it possible to add to or remove values from a valur list in a runtime? I Can't seems to find it anywhere. 

Thank you all for suggestions. I'm learning on the fly. 

• 1. Re: How to change username symbol & update value list within a runtime
          philmodjunk

1) I suggest explaining this request in more detail. The only thing I can think of that is called a "UserName" symbol is layout text you add to your layout using the Insert Menu while in layout mode. But the text shown while not in Layout Mode will reflect the account name of the current user, so I'm not sure what you mean when you want to "change the name attached to it".

2) The easiest way to give the user control of the values in a value list--whether in a runtime or regular FileMaker is to set up a table of values with the "use values from field" type value list. You can then include the necessary controls, script and layout to popup a list of records where the user can edit them to manage the values in the list.

There is also an option on the inspector's data tab that you can select for a field formatted with a value list that gives the user edit control of a custom values list if you want to use that method.

• 2. Re: How to change username symbol & update value list within a runtime
            ToddNolan

Thank you Phil for the suggestions. The first question was referring to the <<username>> insert menu symbol. I'm guessing it's pulled from the computer's username that's logged into Windows? If so, then I understand there's no way of changing that. I didn't know if that was a username I choose while setting up filemaker the first time.

As for the second part, I agree. I converted several value lists to tables, but I was trying to avoid doing it with that one, but I do believe it'll be more user friend and consistent with the rest of the application. 

As always, you're the best!

• 3. Re: How to change username symbol & update value list within a runtime
              philmodjunk

There are account names and user names. The username that you refer to is specified in preferences. It often is the same as the users windows login name, but does not have to be.

The account name is specified in manage security, but just to make this more confusing, FileMaker will show the UserName from preferences in the account name box when the password login dialog first appears when you open a file.