3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 11:30 AM by philmodjunk

How to combine two layouts (reports) to print out onto one sheet of paper

JaneHartway

Title

How to combine two layouts (reports) to print out onto one sheet of paper

Hello!

I work for a preschool and we produce parent-teacher conference reports for our families every year.  We had a database designed and created by a developer 15 years ago that our teachers enter their data into for generating a four page school report.  It is on two legal (8.5 x 14) sheets of paper, printed front and back so when you fold it in half, it makes a four page report.

The problem we have is this:  The front page (pages one and four) are in one layout and pages two and four are in another layout.  When we print reports for a classroom we have to print one side and then take them out of the printer, reorder the copies and put it back in the printer and print the second layout for the other two pages.   So, it becomes a major hassle when it is time to print out 350 reports.  Fifteen years ago, it wasn't as big a deal because the school was much smaller.

So, I am looking at the file and viewing the layouts and wondering what I can do....  We would really like to make doublesided copies of these reports without reshuffling the copies to make the back side of the report match the front regarding the student order and to get the second side printed by reloading the copies back into the printer paper tray.

Suggestions?  Ideas?  I can email you the file with no data in it if that can help show you what I am working with.

Thank You,

Jane Hartway

• 1. Re: How to combine two layouts (reports) to print out onto one sheet of paper
          philmodjunk

Do you or can you get a printer that supports duplex printing?

Rather than sharing a copy of your file, I suggest describing the design of the layouts and the tables from which this data is printed to produce your reports and also tell us what version of FileMaker you are using.

If you are unable to do that, sharing your file will not do much good as you'll have trouble implementing any changes we might suggest to you.

• 2. Re: How to combine two layouts (reports) to print out onto one sheet of paper
            JaneHartway

We do have a duplex printer.  Basically, our file using FMP 11 has two reports in it using data from one table.  One report does the first and last page on one legal (8.5 by 14) piece of paper. The other report does the second and third pages, so when it is all printed out, you fold it in half to create a four page report.  

These reports were made a long time ago.  My question is how to get filemaker to print out page 1/4 on one side of a piece of legal paper, and then page 2/4 report on the other side, for each record.  If we select duplex printing, with the 1st/4th day report, it prints this report for every record on both sides of the paper...  So, two children's 1st/4th page reports are printed on one legal sheet of paper...not what we want.  So we have to just print the first report on the front of the paper, reorder the copies for the proper record order to come out again, and then reload them into the printer tray and bring up the other report and print that out onto the back side.  Sooo time consuming when there are now 13 classrooms to print out.

Is there a way to combine two reports into one?  Like create a first page and then a second page?  I have created reports in programs like Access but not FileMaker Pro.  Just wondering how hard this might be...since I can't really see any other way to get these two reports to print out "together".

--Jane

• 3. Re: How to combine two layouts (reports) to print out onto one sheet of paper
              philmodjunk

It is impossible to answer your question without a more detailed understanding of the design of your database. These "pages" of information are not stored as pages, they are stored in one or more records in one or more tables. We'd need to understand that underlying structure of your database in order to be able to suggest changes that might resolve this issue.

Knowing the exact version of FileMaker that you are currently using is also crucial so that we don't suggest a solution that doesn't work with your version of FileMaker.