6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 3:14 PM by CekariYH

How to commit a record in script?

CekariYH

Title

Without changing to another layout, clicking outside a field etc.

Problem: When a user press a "Return to previous layout" button a calculated field in that table needs to be calculated first and then be assigned to global variable to "bring" that value back to the previous layout.?

For example the user has entered the last field in that layout but is still on the field and click the "Return" button the calculated field isn't finished before the layout switch and the global variable will be wrong.

I have other occasions that needs to commit a record before "anything else happens" as well.

• 1. Re: How to commit a record in script?
          hbrendel

You seem to ask many questions. Wouldn't it be a good idea to check FM's Help section?

• 2. Re: How to commit a record in script?
            CekariYH

Well, I try to but when I don't find it I have too ask ;-)

Then i don't know if I should post each on a separate msg or all in one, what way is preferred by the community on these forums.

• 3. Re: How to commit a record in script?
              philmodjunk

Well there's a script step with a pretty obvious name: Commit Records that you can use...

• 4. Re: How to commit a record in script?
                CekariYH

Lost in translation!

Commit is translated as execute that is ""Verkställ" in swedish in FMP, while commit actually means something else when translated to swedish (long list of words but nothing obvious for save) and my self is looking for "Save..". which is translated to "Spara..." Not alwyas as obvious as you would expect ;-)

I mean, Execute record doesn't look as Save... to me... ;-)

If you need it I can post a list of all words in swedisch that commit translates to and what those word are when translated back to english.... reverse engineering anybody?

• 5. Re: How to commit a record in script?
                  philmodjunk

You have a very good grasp of English. I hadn't realized that you were from an international location. That makes your problems searching for the right term more understandable.

• 6. Re: How to commit a record in script?
                    CekariYH

Yes, especially as the translation looks as it's not done by database person sometimes.

Coming from Windows to Mac was an experience it self with it's different terms.

Photshop has a lot of terms that old style darkroom users never used and now FMP with it's own vocabulary and, for me at least, some unfamiliar terms as an old database programmer. Translation is also a "mixed bag" with most translated but some still in English like functions and parameters.

And all FMP-PDFs except  the FMP Handbook is in English as is most books out there.

Actually I'm thinking of use FMP in English instead... lol