Title

how to compare and erase duplicate records based on multiple fields

The database contains 5 fields:

SLIDE ID  

ARTIST NAME

PLACE

DATE

DESCRIPTION

the issue being.... upon the last import --- all records, instead of the last 150, were imported from a copy of the original file---- thus creating duplicates of 100000+ records........

the problem being... some of the field entries had been modified on the original(i.e. spelling of artist name, corrected place or date, etc.....).

Solution?:  in order to "delete" all records whereby the fields match exactly and  "mark" all records which are duplicates based on the SLIDE ID field but were modified in one or more of the other fields indicated above (i.e. ARTIST NAME, PLACE, DATE, DESCRIPTION).....  At that point I could manually delete the small number of records which had been altered without having to wade through the entire database.   

Also... in order for this not to happen in the future.... what is the appropraite script to run when you are wanting to import only a selected number of records? the business had previously had fmp files for each year-- which were later merged into one file, but 1994 had somehow been skipped--- so i would need to import only that year.  I have now created a new field = DATE MODIFIED, so in the future it would be easier to see the latest modification if duplicates were to arise again......

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? OR ROBUST SCRIPTS?  

This position has now been allocated to me and I am now trying to teach myself the appropriate protocols.

Outcomes