For some reason comments were closed. I used my "Forum Community Leader" access to re-open this one for comments as that appeared to be unintentional.
If you have fields sized to hold multiple lines of text or portals with multiple rows where you often need only a few rows to show all the data, there are settings on the Inspector Tab that you can use to set things to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part". These changes are not visible in browse mode, only when previewing or printing.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.