2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 8:57 AM by MichaelHart

How to Consolidate Container Data?

MichaelHart

Title

How to Consolidate Container Data?

I have a standalone FM13Adv-0v5 DB with container fields containing images (jpegs) that are residing in multple locations on my hard drive. I want to consolidate those multiple locations into one (external) location. I tried to accomplish this via the Manage Containers dialogue and transfer the image files to the new folder which I created and referenced in the Manage-Container dialogue. 

After FM goes through the procedure, I am left with a DB bereft of images replaced by a reference-graphic showing the name of the image file only but no image. It appears all the images have been transferred to the new folder but are now corrupt and cannot be read by FM or Photoshop.

What did I do wrong? What is the best way to consolidate external image files into one location?

• 1. Re: How to Consolidate Container Data?
          philmodjunk

Try exporting the image from the container field before attempting to open the file in Photshop (opening the exported copy, not the one from the external storage location). Does that work?

I suspect that your files were originally inserted with the "by reference" option. The files that you insert into a container field with external storage should not be inserted "by reference"--so that may be the source of your trouble here.

You may need to set up a script that exports the field contents of a container field and then re-inserts the exported copy of the file, but without the "store a reference" option specified.

• 2. Re: How to Consolidate Container Data?
            MichaelHart

Thanks Phil,

I initially inserted the images into the container fields via drag n' drop method, is that "by reference"?

Exporting from the field before opening in Photoshop does work.

Would the script you describe work on the whole DB, at once, or just one record at a time?