AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to convert/consolidate filed data from multiple records

Question asked by NeoTekCorp on Jul 14, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 by TSGal

Title

How to convert/consolidate filed data from multiple records

We're looking to work with a business directory database. Problem is we want to convert data and possibly automate merging redundant records. Any quick thoughts on scripting to do this in FM Pro

Job One: We want to change the category field on multiple fields. Example: If "Education" then replace field data with "Educational" I know how to do this by filtering and performing a find/replace. Ideally we'd like to have a script where we do this for multiple "if/then" scenarios.

Job Two: The business listing we have has the same business listed multiple times, each under a different subcategory heading. Is there a way to perform a script to somehow automate a consolidation process. I guess the easiest way to explain this is visually. Say...

XYZ Business 1234 Smith Street Anytown IL Internet Service Provider

XYZ Business 1234 Smith Street Anytown IL Web Design

XYZ Business 1234 Smith Street Anytown IL Web Hosting

This would be like a clip from the excel file. My thoughts -- can a script be set up that basically say if the certain fields are the same (business name, street) then the records are merged into one record, with the subcategory fields combined into a new field called "keywords."

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. 

Outcomes