7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 4:18 PM by lindac

HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE

BUMM

Title

HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE

how do i copy just a layout only from a fm12 file to another fm12  file.

does it matter if there is data in the layout.  i prefer to do without any data transferred if possible

thanks

mike

• 1. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
          davidanders

Filemaker Pro Advanced will allow you to import Tables from one databsse to another.

Filemaker Pro does not, it will not copy a layout.

You can make a blank layout, go to the other database, go to the layout, select all objects, copy, go to blank layout and paste objects.

If you have the same fields they will work, if the fields do not exist or are named differently, you will have to go to Layout Mode and reset the fields.

Scipts and relationships will have to be setup.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4703/~/copying-%2F-transferring-a-layout-from-one-filemaker-file-to-another
          Copying / Transferring a Layout from one FileMaker file to Another

• 2. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
            lindac

FM 12 to FM 12 Added new layouts. I have the same exact fields in both files. I can transfer the layouts, but the field names do not transfer. I get a blank field with no field name. With 100+ fields that is time consuming to right click and "specify field" for each field on the layouts.

• 3. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
              philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro Advanced will allow you to import Tables from one databsse to another.

Filemaker Pro does not, it will not copy a layout.

Not quite, without advanced, you can import tables with the "new table" option and need only import a single record to get the schema into the other file. Advanced allows you to copy and paste the table definition directly out of Manage Database without bringing in any data..

Copy/pasting layout objects from one layout to another can be done in both advanced and pro and you can copy/paste all the objects on a layout in one go.

BUT

in both versions of FileMaker, the underlying table occurrence name selected for the layout and the field names of the fields defined in that underlying table is critical. FileMaker will match up field objects to fields in the underlying data model by name when you paste. If the names don't match, you get field objects that aren't linked to any one field in the target file's data model. Sometimes, it works to temporarily rename the layouts underlying table occurrence to match the source file, do your copy/paste and then go back in and change the table occurrence name back.

• 4. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
                lindac

Clarify my other statement: I have FMPRO 15 Advanced and trying to transfer the new layouts to FMPro 15 files that I received from my satellite sites. The plan was to add the layouts and return the files to my coworkers at the other sites. The fields are exactly the same as previously in the files, just a different layout format. The fields still do not transfer. I just get blank field boxes.

• 5. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
                  lindac

Thanks for your reply, but it is not working. Both layouts are named the same. All fields match.

This is so frustrating. I have tried this many times, with no success.

LC

• 6. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
                    erolst

lindac wrote:

Both layouts are named the same. All fields match.

philmodjunk wasn't referring to layout or table names, but to the table occurrence (TO) the layout is based on.

You can see this TO's name in Layout mode next to the layout name (the label reads 'Table:', not 'Table occurrence:', but that's what it is), or by opening the Layout Setup dialog and read the name next to 'Show Rcords from'.

Before pasting, go to Manage > Database > Relationships, find the TO with that name and change the name to match the underlying TO of the layout in the source file where you copied the field objects

• 7. Re: HOW TO COPY A LAYOUT ONLY FROM A FM12 TO ANOTHER FM12 FILE
                      lindac

OK Ill try this thanks.