3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 12:20 PM by JohnathonKarcz

How to Copy and Paste to Fields for Multiple Records

JohnathonKarcz

Title

How to Copy and Paste to Fields for Multiple Records

Hello, 

I have found this knowledge base record, but it does not seem to work.  Can anyone tell me if the most recent versions work differently then this article describes (it seems to be from FMv5)?:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4533/kw/Copying%20multiple%20records

Basically, I would like to paste emails from an existing field to a newly created "email list" field.  This will only be done to a select set of records, not the whole database, and will only need to be done once.  so we do not need a script for this.  

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.  

Thanks!
      Johnathon 

• 1. Re: How to Copy and Paste to Fields for Multiple Records
          philmodjunk

By "emails" do you mean email addresses or the email messages?

How is this data structured?

Do you have one record for each email in the current table?

What is the structure of the data in the newly created list field? Do you want to merge all your emails from many records in one table into this new record in the other? If so, this is an unusual and rather inflexible way to manage this, please explain why you want to do it this way as a different approach may actually work better for you.

• 2. Re: How to Copy and Paste to Fields for Multiple Records
            mgores

Are you setting up something like groups in an address book?  If so it may work out easier and more flexibly to have a separate group table and group_contact table where you store a the contactID and a groupID.  That way it is possible for a contact to be in more than one group and it will be easier to modify the groups as needed.

This related table also eliminates the need to copy fields from one table/record to another (the main reason for using a relational database)

• 3. Re: How to Copy and Paste to Fields for Multiple Records
              JohnathonKarcz

Thanks for your attention on this.  

Fortunatly, through some trial and error I have figured it out.  

All i had to do was a "Replace Field Contents...", "Specify", and then type in the name of the field that I would like to pull the data from for the input.  I was trying all sorts of combinations with equal signs and quotation marks.  Then i just tried simplifying it and it worked.

Thanks again for the help.  This is solved...