5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2012 10:03 PM by philmodjunk

How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?

jprint714

Title

How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?

Is there an easy way to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View w/o copying the info from each individual field?  I thought there was a way to do this in List View, but (unless I'm missing something), my FMP database doesn't offer that view.  My FMP database was set up by a friend, so I might have to toggle some settings (or redo the configuration) in some way…  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?
          philmodjunk

I can't tell from your post exactly what you want to copy.

You can copy data from a single field to the clipboard.

You can copy data from all the fields present on the current layout from the current record (values separated by returns).

You can copy data from all the fields present on the current layout from all the records in the current found set.

Note that the layout controls what gets copied when copying to the clipboard. Some scripts invisibly change layouts long enough to copy the needed data from a layout that only contains the fields from which data is to be copied, copies the data and then returns to the original layout.

And you need not copy the data to the clipboard unless you need to. The data can be copied to variables or global fields and you can also Import and Exprt records to move data in blocks.

my FMP database doesn't offer that view

All layouts can be viewed in form, list or table view unless someone has gone into layout mode and used the view tab in layout setup to limit the views permitted for a given layout.

• 2. Re: How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?
            jprint714

I suppose I'd like to do either of these:

You can copy data from all the fields present on the current layout from the current record (values separated by returns).

You can copy data from all the fields present on the current layout from all the records in the current found set.

But I'd prefer to do it in List View (if possible)...

How would you suggest I configure the clipboard options to accomodate this...?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?
              philmodjunk

The view has nothing to do with how this works and it has nothing to do with clipboard options either.

If you open up manage | Scripts and open a script so you can see the lists of script steps, you'll find two script steps:

Copy Record/Request
              Copy All Records

The first copies data as text to the clipboard from the current record. Each field in the layout will be copied with tab characters separating each field's value.

The second does the same, but copies from all the records in the found set. Date from each record will be separated by a return character.

You can perform a script with one of these script steps or add a button to your layout with this step specified in Button Setup.

Note that while you can copy the data this way, you can't paste it into another layout and have the data appear in multiple feids and/or records. The data is pasted as a single block of text.

You also cannot select a subset of your found set and copy just those selected records.

Keep in mind the key downside to any script steps that copy to the clipboard:

If you have copied any data to your clipboard first and then you run a script or click a button to copy, the data previously copied will be lost--this can confuse and annoy users if they don't realize this will happen. There are ways to move data that leave the clipboard untouched so you don't actually have to copy like this in most situations.

• 4. Re: How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?
                jprint714

This is great!  Thanks!  The Copy Record/Request script worked, except...when I copy it in Form View I get a lot of extranous stuff (characters in place of fields, I suppose), and when I copy it in List View I still get some extraneous characters - but I'm unable to coy some of the fields forms (which is less important in List View).

Could you suggest ways to fix this?  Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: How to copy info from the Filemaker forms in List View?
                  philmodjunk

What exactly do you expect to see when you use Copy Record/Request and then paste?

Into what are you pasting?

You should get data from every field on the current layout with tab characters separating each field. I would guess that your "extraneous" characters would be those tab characters.