3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 6:56 AM by philmodjunk

How to count customers with first sale within a certain week

med

Title

How to count customers with first sale within a certain week

I have a customer table and a sales history table linked by customer code.

The sales history table contains among other fields The sale date, sale type and of course customer code.

I would like to count the number of customers or possibly produce a list of those who had their first sale of a certain type occurring between two dates. The type of sale and the two dates will be entered on a layout by the user.

I have tried many ideas but I failed, can any body help me with a hint.

• 1. Re: How to count customers with first sale within a certain week
          philmodjunk

I am guessing this relationship:

Customers-----<SalesHistory
               Customers::__pkCustomerID = SalesHistory::_fkCustomerID

The key here would be to find only first sales. The key to that can be a self join relationship:

SalesHistory----<SalesHistory|SameCust
               SalesHistory::_fkCustomerID = SalesHistory|SameCust::_fkCustomerID

Where SalesHistory|SameCust is my name for a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of SalesHistory.

You can then define this calculation field and set it to evaluate from the context of SalesHistory (not SalesHistory|SameCust):

__pkSalesHistoryID = SalesHistory|SameCust::__pkSalesHistoryID     (You can also use a timestamp or date field instead of a __pk field in most cases)

Then you can perform a find on SalesHistory specifying a date range for your week and a 1 in this calculation field.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 2. Re: How to count customers with first sale within a certain week
            med

Thank you for the reply. But I do not understand how the calculation field will help find the first sale by being searched for the value 1.

When you said  __pksaleshistoryid did you mean a sale id or the customer id in that table?

And also should the table saleshistory |samecustomer be sorted?

May be I need more detailed explanation, I would appreciate that.

• 3. Re: How to count customers with first sale within a certain week
              philmodjunk

The calculation field will only return a 1 if the SalesHistory record is the oldest such record for that customer. So searching for a record with a 1 in that field that also falls in your specified date range will find only "first time customer" records for that date range.

The relationship to saleshistory |samecustomer should not need to specify a sort order as the oldest record to be created should be the first record. The only except to that is if you sort the records in that table into a different order and then import them into a new copy of your file. If there is any chance that such could have happened then saleshistory |samecustomer should be sorted by date in ascending order.

When you said  __pksaleshistoryid did you mean a sale id or the customer id in that table?

I meant that you need a field that uniquely identifies each field in the SalesHistory table. Ideally, this would be either an auto-entered serial number field or an auto-entered calculation field that auto-enters Get ( UUID ).