8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 9:56 AM by philmodjunk

How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??

AshleyBrown

Title

How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??

Semi-newbie here friends needing your help!!?

here is the puzzle for you clever clever people, i've created a database for my rugby team, approx. 77 players!

i've also greated a list layout that shows the players name and the position they play, and a field indicating whether they have been selected or not.

here's the issue, i need to be able to create a button that then creates a new table showing just the selected team.

esentially in the end i will want to press a button and those who have been selected will have their names mailmerged into outgoing letters maybe a text sent via the mobile phone number we have, even potentially a 'selection' powerpoint presentation that would be shown to them on the friday evening before hand.

so a button that creates a new table that can be used for further merging to other things!!! cheers guys hope you can help

by the way i'm a semi-newbie because i can use most of the program but scripting and functions i'm not offay with just yet!

• 1. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
          philmodjunk

You won't want to dynamically create new tables for this purpose. That approach will fail in FileMaker. While it's possible to use scripting to generate the new table, you will not have any practical way to access the data in the new table as you will be unable to have any scripted way to control the design of the layout produced for that table.

Instead, you need to think in terms of founds sets and relationships that match to sets of related records. You can, for example, set up a table or teams with one records for each team. Assigning players to a team then becomes a process of linking player records to a specific team record.

• 2. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
            AshleyBrown

So... Set up a button that indicates this particular record/player is part of another record? Sorry, obviously more of a newbie than I thought! Lol but thanks for replying. Your very kind.

• 3. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
              SteveMartino

Phil is the best. What he's basically saying is to  break it down.

So Ashley, you basically have just 1 team, with 77 members.  You need to create a roster of the selected players--which is the team that is going to be fielded for the next game.  Then send each member on the roster (or all members-doesn't everyone need to know who is playing and who is not?) an email and/or text.

i can't imagine the need for a PowerPoint as aren't you just showing them the list?  Couldn't that just be a PDF report, or do you want to show it on a diagram of a field.

What else do you need to report?  Do you need to track statistics--goals, assists, penalties, playing time, injuries, etc.? Goalies stats?

As a fellow newbie I recommend you go thru some basic training with both FileMaker: The Missing Manual, and The FileMaker Training Series.  Both of these really helped me kickstart the learning process. Plus (can't remember off the top of my head) one of these had a sample DB about a swim team with races, heats, etc., that may point you in the right direction.

• 4. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
                AshleyBrown

Thanks again will definitely look into those tutorials, I'm working for the head coach of the team who apparently got told that filemaker is so versatile that you could set it up to do anything, then I got given he job of IT/video analyst and told to crack on! Lol my experience is in the ms office side of things and  access in particular so I suppose I'm just trying to make it work, and not knowing fully the software I suppose I can't turn round and say this CAN'T be done.

and the presentation is because the team is announced as you say to an audience in a rather regal affair with high profile people coming for the announcements. In essence they want it like how sky sports would announce the team. The animation and skeletal properties of the presentation are done, I was just wondering if there was a way to auto populate/ merge with the information held on filemaker.

But huge thanks again.

• 5. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
                  philmodjunk

This might be as simple as setting up a table where each player is a different record and a checkbox formatted field is used to select the players that are playing of the next game. You click that check box to select each player and then perform a find for all records with the checkbox selected and you have your starting roster.

Of course that just meets what may be your immediate need. Tracking game and player status, keeping track of who played in each game, etc are all possible provided you spend the time learning how to do this with a relational database in general and FileMaker in particular.

• 6. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
                    SteveMartino

I think all of this can be done with FileMaker, rather easily.  Especially the DB part of it.  I'm not a PowerPoint person, but if you cant get the info from FM to the PP, (which I never had to try, but sure it could be done), then you could easily export the data to Excel and then into PP.  Have fun plugging away, and ask more questions.  Show the forum what you have so far, and people will help.

• 7. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
                      AshleyBrown

Guys you are truly legendary, thanks again for some great ideas, I didn't think of using a checkbox followed by a search function! An inspired idea! I'll let you know how it goes and of course if I get it all singing the same song I'll definitely chuck it out for all to tweak and prod at to get it right. Cheers again guys, I will call upon you again I have no doubt! Lol. Thank you.

• 8. Re: How to create a button that makes a new table from a selection??
                        philmodjunk

I doubt that my suggestion will be the full answer though it may meet your immediate needs. I suspect the coach will want more than just to see the roster for the next game. At some point the coach will likely want to know who was on the roster in previous games and then you will need a system that trackes these assignments on a game by game basis.