2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 8:41 AM by philmodjunk

how to create a button to open an external pdf

JedHendrickson

Title

how to create a button to open an external pdf

I am a novice FileMaker user. I am making a membership database and I want to save members' historical data as pdf's.

How can I create a button in Filemaker that will open the member's pdf history? Each member has a unique member number I planned to use as the name of the pdf. I plan to store the pdf's in the same directory as the Filemaker database. The data is for my use only and will be kept on my laptop (Mac).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: how to create a button to open an external pdf
          JimMac

I am running MacOS 10.7.5 and FMP12v2.

I normally don't  try to change your subject question but I am unclear on why you want to open the PDF file.

It appears you want to use the PDF as a Historic file of Membership information.

If this is True...

Then simply save a new PDF files with the Updated Membership info and use the Same file name in the same Directory and Mac will replace old PDF file.

PDF files can be viewed [and rough printed] from container fields in FMP, but the information inside a PDF cannot be edited in FMP.

A PDF file created by FMP is not changeable after the conversion to PDF by FMP.  It can be replaced as i said above.

Mac does have a PDF reader licensed by Adobe called Preview.   You can open Preview and use the PDF file there, or Adobe reader.

________

Remember that FMP is named File Maker for a reason.  It stores the Membership information in Records and is "simulating" a file folder/file cabinet system [plus much more since its conception 12 changes back in years].  Then you can create a near paperless file and data manipulations program using FMP.

I use PDF's in FMP to...

1) Store external generated PDF files for historical and reference purpose.

2) Generate custom internal office forms in PDF format to email, print, save for [unchangeable] legal reasons.

3) Store embedded PDF's in FMP for visual quick reference in FMP 11 and earlier versions or as an external File reference in FMP12.

I only "open" a PDF using Preview or Adobe to print a crisp printed copy or group a series of PDF to bundle them from several PDF's referenced in FMP.

____

To program a button to "open" an external PDF file, I would need to know how the PDF file is referenced or stored in you FMP database.

Jim...

PS: what is your MacOS and FMP version?

• 2. Re: how to create a button to open an external pdf
            philmodjunk

Where did this PDF file come from? If this is data originally stored in your database, why save it as a PDF?