2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 9:43 PM by boltthecolt

How to create a cascading list of drop down items from an external database?

boltthecolt

Title

How to create a cascading list of drop down items from an external database?

Hi,
      New to FileMakerPro and have a practical how to question if I may. I hope I can explain it adequately.
      I have two databases say A and B. In a layout in B,  I wish to have a drop down list that is populated by field 1's values in the database A. I can do that bit. However the next bit has me stumped. I wish to then populate another drop down list with all the items from field 2 (database A)that match the item selected via the first drop down list. I need to repeat this a couple of times.
      Ie list C shows a items that match that selected in list B, B shows items that match that selected in list A. 
      Essentially Database A is a cascading list of characteristics of books. 
      field 1 is the series name,
      field 2 is the year level of the book,
      field 3 is the book title,
      field 4 is the individual page of a book
      I need the ability to select the series and then be presented with the list of year levels. After selecting the year level, one should be presentled with a list of book titles at that year level, once the title is selected it should make each available page number selectable. Remember that this database is external to the one that the work is being done in.
      I have no idea how to achieve this. Any ideas?
      Many thanks
      Mark