2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 5:03 PM by davidr_1

How to create a field outside of "Manage Database"

davidr_1

Title

How to create a field outside of "Manage Database"

Can I do this by importing an Excel/Numbers file, or with Applescript, or SQL?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

David 

• 1. Re: How to create a field outside of "Manage Database"
          TSGal

davidr:

Thank you for your post.

When you import an Excel file, the top of the right side of the Import Field Mapping dialog box is a pop-up.  This allows you to import into the current table, or you can select it to import into a new table, and the fields will be created.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: How to create a field outside of "Manage Database"
            davidr_1

Thanks for the hint. I used this method to import the csv files into new tables.

Here's the Perl script I ended up with.

Extracts the field names I need from csv files exported by Numbers from the original Excel tables. The field names are in the second column, beginning just below a cell saying "CALPADS Field Names". The output files are one line csv files, with the field names in order.

(Save your work before running this...) (and make backups)

#!/usr/bin/perl

#usage: eg. "perl script.pl *.csv" creates output files in a new subdirectory named "transpose"

#By the way, you need to use cpan to download the "Text::CSV_XS" module.

use strict;

use warnings;

use Text::CSV_XS;

my $outPutDir = 'transpose'; #Makes a subfolder of the script's directory to store the transposed output csv files.

mkdir $outPutDir;

foreach my $file (@ARGV){  #expects a glob of input files on the commandline, such as "perl <thisScript.pl> *.csv"

open my $io, "<", $file or die "$file: $!";

open (TRANS, '>', "$outPutDir/$file") or die $!;

my $csv = Text::CSV_XS->new ({ binary => 1, eol => $/ }); #I hope to read csv files correctly, even with embedded newlines etc.

my $virgin=1; #Leave lines alone until we see the column header "CALPADS Element Name" in column two. Subsequent rows will contain actual fieldnames in this column.

my $preFieldSeparator=''; #When writing csv records, you don't need a comma before the initial field.

while (my $row = $csv->getline ($io)) {# This Text::CSV_XS method purportedly deals with embedded special characters better.

my @fields = @$row;

if ($virgin==1){ #Um, we want to refrain from printing until we see the headline where the "Element Names" begin.

if ($fields[2] eq "CALPADS Element Name"){

$virgin = 0;

next; #We skip the printing line below up to and including the row which includes the "Element Names" headline.

} else { #We print the second field of each row we see _after_ the row with the "..Elements" headline.

print(TRANS $preFieldSeparator, '"', $fields[2], '"'); #This prints all fields quoted, and includes

$preFieldSeparator=','; #..a comma before all but the first field.

}

}

print(TRANS "\n"); #A newline for the end of the output record. Note there's only one record per file, containing just the fieldnames parsed from the table of field descriptions.

close $io; #Close the input and output files.

close TRANS;

}