5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 2:08 AM by comment_1

How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?

FBrew

Title

How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?

Filemaker 10.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.5 and Windows XP clients.

I am trying to create a button which will perform a Find. This button will be used every year. It needs to find student that entered the school after March 1 of the current year.

The button will perform a script. In the script, there will be a Extend Found Set command run. In that Extend Found Set command, the Find Request will include a greater than or equal operator (≥). 

How do I get the find request to find records after March 1 of the current year?

I tried:

Enrolldate ≥ 3/1/Year(Get(CurrentDate))

But I get the error message:

'The value of this field must be a valid date in the range of years 1 to 4000 and should look like "12/25/2003".'

• 1. Re: How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?
          comment_1

First, you cannot use criteria stored in a find request for this - stored criteria cannot be dynamic (at least not in version 10).

Next, the expression "3/1/Year(Get(CurrentDate))" evaluates to .0014925373134328 (you divide 3 by 1, then by 2010).

Try instead:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ YourTable::Enrolldate ; "≥" & Date ( 3 ; 1 ; Year ( Get (CurrentDate) ) ) ]

Extend Found Set []

• 2. Re: How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?
            FBrew

Thank you!

That works, but for a single find. My apologizes, I should have mentioned that I need to do 3 extend found sets. (3 different find with the results combined)

I tried below:

#Find list of students that will be taking the bus and returning next year.

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ Table::takingBus; "Yes" ]

Set Field [ Table::returning; "Yes" ]

Perform Find []

#Add to that found set a list of students that will be who didn't reply that and are taking the bus this year.

Extend Found Set [Restore]

#Add to that found set a list of students that entered 3/1 of the current year.

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ YourTable::Enrolldate ; "≥" & Date ( 3 ; 1 ; Year ( Get (CurrentDate) ) ) ]

Extend Found Set []

When I tried using Enter Find Mode [] again (3rd to last line), the debugger shows that the find is starting from 0 records.

I tried replacing it with Extend Found Set [], but it doesn't help.

How do I do multiple extended finds with that get(currentdate) restriction?

• 3. Re: How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?
              comment_1

I don't see why you don't do all of this at once, using one Perform Find [] with several requests, e.g,

Enter Find Mode [ Restore ]
              # Restore the two requests regarding buses and replies

New Request
              Set Field [ YourTable::Enrolldate ; "≥" & Date ( 3 ; 1 ; Year ( Get (CurrentDate) ) ) ]
              Perform Find

• 4. Re: How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?
                FBrew

comment wrote:

I don't see why you don't do all of this at once, using one Perform Find [] with several requests, e.g,

New Request
                Perform Find

When I try the above putting in my find requests into the Enter FInd Mode, it's combining all my find requests' results into AND statements rather than OR.

For in detail: In the Enter Find Mode [ Restore ], I have 7 lines of "Find Records" with 7 different criterias. So the finds should be accumulative. For example, If the first Find Record returns 3 records, and the the next 6 Find Records return 2 records each (6 x 2 = 12), then the total should be 15 records, but I'm getting only like 5 results. I know I should have more than 5.

With your help, I eventually went with many "New Request" and "Set Field" commands, which worked:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ YourTable::isBusRider; "1" ]

Set Field [ YourTable::field2; "1" ]

New Request

Set Field [ YourTable::willRideBusNextYear; "1" ]

Set Field [ YourTable::field3; "1" ]

New Request
                Perform Find

Thank you very much!

• 5. Re: How to create a Find Request for a dynamic Year?
                  comment_1

FBrew wrote:

it's combining all my find requests' results into AND statements rather than OR.

As you have found, you need to open a new request for every OR. Your first two requests are static and could be stored in the Enter Find Mode[] step (that would be 2 requests x 2 criteria). That's what I meant by:

What you have now will produce exactly the same result, and the difference is largely cosmetic.