3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 12:13 PM by philmodjunk

How to Create a Fixed Height Report?

fabiuz

Title

How to Create a Fixed Height Report?

Hi,

I would like to create an Invoice report where the fixed parts are always placed in the same position on the document.

Like if I should use a preprinted paper...

So If my Invoice does have only one row, the Trailing Grand Summary part shold be always placed at the very end of the page and do not go up till where the body part has ended.

The same when there are many rows, it should know that it can print body rows till a fixed height and the should go to the next page.

Is it possible to do with FMP 11 ?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to Create a Fixed Height Report?
          philmodjunk

So If my Invoice does have only one row, the Trailing Grand Summary part shold be always placed at the very end of the page and do not go up till where the body part has ended.

The first option to consider would be to increase the size of the footer and move the objects from a grand summary part into the footer. The footer will print at the bottom of each page.

The same when there are many rows, it should know that it can print body rows till a fixed height and the should go to the next page

If each row is a different record--either in a list view layout or as the row in a portal, that should be the standard behavior when printing. The only time that this will not be the case is if you have something set up to Slide up/resize enclosing part.

• 2. Re: How to Create a Fixed Height Report?
            fabiuz

Thank you!

I do not want summary data on each page, so may be the footer way is not right for me.

Each row is a different record, but some are made of 5 text rows, other are 1 text row, so I had to activate SlideUp option.

I need something that preserves about 4cm at the end of each page and that print record on all the empty space, but that it does not put in a higher position the summary line.... may be I could try something based on the number of pages and by scripting something that does not print what in the footer if the page is not the last... yes a conditional formatting with footer data instead of Trailing Grand Summary. Could try... thanks!

I see that there are problems to have continuos vertical lines between each record in the body of a List View.

Further more I am also asking myselft how I can add a text note in a new row or as the last item in the invoice rows...

• 3. Re: How to Create a Fixed Height Report?
              philmodjunk

I do not want summary data on each page, so may be the footer way is not right for me.

It would not be, but this will complicate your layout design as well as a grand summary will always print just below the last record.

I see that there are problems to have continuos vertical lines between each record in the body of a List View.

Only if you specify fields to slide up. And they are possible in a list view report even with sliding, but it is tricky and with some versions of FileMaker, it can be hard to get results that look right. But this is only an issue when you have sliding fields and that would not seem to be what you need here if you are trying to get a specific number of records on each page.

I suggest that you back up and try describing the output that you want in more specific detail along with the table(s) from which the data will be used to produce this report.