3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 11:19 AM by philmodjunk

How to Create a Layout Pop-up

alc

Title

How to Create a Layout Pop-up & other Status Bar items.

One thing I REALLY don't like in FMP11   is removal of the old style (left side) status bar. (This may have changed in v10 which I never used)

The new one is forcing me to change Hundreds of layouts (and go to layout scripts) so I'm looking for ways to recreate parts of that status bar. the new Style adds way too much vertical space. Weird choice since screens have grown wider proportionally.

Any way... I hoping to find a way to use some combo of fields scripts to replace the following:

1. Layouts (it's easy enough to get info via "LayoutNames") but how does one convert this to a pop-up field. (I've got a pretty funky method involving using the LayoutNames List  as a PopUp Value List in  a global field ) but naturally that won't hide desired layouts, and surely there's a better way. (that will ideally work in FM Go)

2. QuickFind

3. Saved Finds. (again would need to be a global pop-up)

Am I missing something Obvious? 

Alix

• 1. Re: How to Create a Layout Pop-up & other Status Bar items.
          philmodjunk

I've been very thankful, that I routinely designed my layouts to use a narrow "button bar" across the top of the layouts instead of the status area long before FileMaker made the change. That one lucky decision saved me a lot of work when we upgraded.

Layout Names.
          Sounds like you need a table of LayoutName records. By not creating a record for a given layout, you can omit it from your drop down when you set your drop down to reference the layout name field in this table.

QuickFind can be scripted, so all you need is a global text field to your header with either a button or a script trigger to perform a script that does the same quick find action.

Saved finds are in the Records menu which is still visible when you hid the status area, so why do you need this as a pop up? (What problem does that solve for you?)

Unless you set up a search form of global fields for performing your find, this can be a bit problematic. With a search form of global fields, you can save your criteria in a table of corresponding fields and then a script can either repeat the find or move the data back into the global fields for further modification prior to performing the find.

• 2. Re: How to Create a Layout Pop-up & other Status Bar items.
            alc

Sounds like you need a table of LayoutName records. By not creating a  record for a given layout, you can omit it from your drop down when you  set your drop down to reference the layout name field in this table.

Very interesting idea, the only downside is that it wouldn't change dynamically. 

Saved finds are in the Records menu...

My Bad, can't believe I missed that - thanks for the mention

• 3. Re: How to Create a Layout Pop-up & other Status Bar items.
              philmodjunk

is that it wouldn't change dynamically

A script could be created to maintain the records in this list that runs when the file is either opened or closed. Since most systems don't add and delete layouts on a frequent basis this might not be a big deal. Since you want to control which layout's are listed in the drop down, you'll need a field that controls which layouts are included in the drop down. You'd have to decide whether newly added layout names default to be included or excluded from your drop down--or you could establish a layout naming convention the script could use to determine whether to include or exclude a layout.