1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 6:46 AM by philmodjunk

How to create a new layout with collapsable list of records

VijayDeodhar

Title

How to create a new layout with collapsable list of records

I am totally new to Filemaker Pro 12 CRM.  I want to transition from using ACT! CRM to Filemaker.  I would like to find out how to create a visual layout where I can see the various divisions or branches of a large company and indivudual contacts within, are shown in a truncated way and are easily collapsable similar to any directory structure we see in Windows or other lists.

For example,

XYZ, Inc. Corporate

New York Branch
      AP Dept
      AC Dept
      Marketing

California Branch
      AP Dept
      AC Dept
      Marketing

This kind of a visual diagram or cascading structure helps me meander through various contacts fast and understand the inter-relationship of contacts quickly.

I am not an IT person.  So, I would greatly appreciate any help in accomplishing this in simple language or instructions.

Thanks so much in anticipation...

• 1. Re: How to create a new layout with collapsable list of records
          philmodjunk

FileMaker does not have a built in tool for creating such a layout.

Closest, simple way to do what you want would be to create two layouts--one that lists only the Branch offices and one that includes the department names. A button can switch you back and forth between layouts.

But this will "expand" and "contract" all of the department names not just the names for one branch office.

You could also set up a button from a list of branch offices that pops up the department list in a window that floats in front of your main window.