3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2013 3:34 PM by philmodjunk

How to create a quiz on FM pro 12

TinyThorn

Title

How to create a quiz on FM pro 12

Hello,

I'm very new to FileMaker, so apologies for silly questions.

I'm trying to create a multiple choice quiz so multiple users can take it. I am not sure if my tables are even correct, but here's what I have in the following format:

Table (Fields1, Field2, ...)

QuestionBank (QuestionID, QuestionText, CorrectAnswer)

AnswerChoices(ChoiceID, QuestionID(fk), ChoiceText, ChoiceLetter) where ChoiceText is one of many answers to a specific question and ChoiceLetter is A, B, C, etc

Users(UserID, Username) - not worried about password just yet. I haven't gotten that far...

UserAnswers(UserID, QuestionID, UserChoiceLetter, AnswerTime(timestamp))

I filled the tables with some dummy data. Then I created a layout.

I'm attaching first the relationships as well as the layout that I've created. Then I'll make another post and attach the other screenshots to show what's happening.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-24_at_15.52.48.png

• 1. Re: How to create a quiz on FM pro 12
          philmodjunk

You need another relationship line linking USerAnswers to QuestionBank by QuestionID.

A quiz will need the same structure as a questionaire or a survey as the only difference is that survey's don't have correct and incorrect responses. See this thread on survey's to get some additional guidance on how to design your system: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

• 2. Re: How to create a quiz on FM pro 12
            TinyThorn

In addition to the above, I'm attaching another screenshot to explain what I did and how it didn't work:

So created a layout, inserted the QuestionText field to display the question and below inserted ChoiceText field and then went into Inspector's Data tab and used Radio button set and grabbed values from a Value List that I created using ChoiceText from the AnswerChoices table.

So it displays the question and all the answers, however the radio button shows as selected rather than empty. I think I know why it does that: that's how it's defined on the table. However the right answer is not even selected as you'll see (The correct answer is Nothing to Lose). So when I click on Nothing to Lose, Patriot Games (initially selected) disappears. Not only it disappears, that field is overwritten with Nothing to Lose.

So question is, how do I make it so that it allows users to enter their choices, rather than displaying some random one and how do I make it so that newly selected option does not overwrite the one that's just been clicked on.

I hope I explained it well... 

• 3. Re: How to create a quiz on FM pro 12
              philmodjunk

Sounds like your radio button formatted field is doing exactly what you designed it to do, just not what you want it to do.

Clicking a radio button will "overwrite the existing data" in the field, that's what it is supposed to do. Each response should be recorded in a separate record for each combination of question and quiz taker.

Sounds like you are using the wrong field or the wrong relationship here.