2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 3:30 AM by JohnnyKennedy

How to create a recurring set of records?

JohnnyKennedy

Title

How to create a recurring set of records?

Hi

I am building a "simple" advertising booking system with FM Pro 11.

Each record contains the ad details and the week ending (Saturday) date. We record four senarios -

1. Ad occurs once

2. Ad occurs for the next number of weeks

3. Ad occurs every alternate week or month for a number of weeks/months

4. Ad occurs every week until cancelled.

The details captured are publication name (we run eight publications), section, publication date - this is always the week ending date (Saturday), which is then converted to a Week Number.

My scripts search for a publication code and week number to produce a report for each publication and each week etc - all this is working well.

My problem is (and lack of experience) how do I get a record to automatically generate for senarios 2 to 4. Example, I record an Ad for Week 19, and want it to appear for the next four weeks. How do I get FM to generate records for these additional weeks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

• 1. Re: How to create a recurring set of records?
          philmodjunk

Looks like you need a table for the ad, its status (cancelled or active) and its shedulling options and then another table for scheduling each appearance. Finding all the records for a specific date in the scheduling table will then tell you what ads to include in that issue of your publication. With that design, you can set up a script that finds all non cancelled ad records with options 2 - 4 and then loops through them checking fields in the ad record to determine whether to create a new matching record in the scheduling table.

You'd need at least this table structure (and likely several more for other aspects of your business):

Ads----<Schedule  (---< means a one to many relationship)

Ads::AdID = AdSchedule::AdID

A layout based on AdSchedule can include any fields you need from Ads to show details about that particular scheduled advertisement.

• 2. Re: How to create a recurring set of records?
            JohnnyKennedy

Thanks PhilModJunk

Your reply is where I thought I'd have to go, and has sparked more thoughts. I'm off to rebuilt and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again