2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 8:11 AM by clement

how to create a subcategory in fmp 9? please help

clement

Title

how to create a subcategory in fmp 9? please help

Hello,

Firstly I apologize in advance as I'm pretty sure this question has already been asked a few times on this forum. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any answer.

Well, I am using FMP 9 on Mac (Leopard). I have to manage a database which I didn't create originally and I have been asked to add categories. I try for weeks now but I cannot find how to do. It's embarrassing as I'm sure it's pretty basic but please, could anyone here help me?

For instance, we have a "Members" category that I would like to modify. Depending on where do the members come from I would like to list them in subcategories such as "US Members", "Europe Members", "Asia Members", etc...and just have to check or uncheck a box to list or unlist them.

I am only beginning with this program and even if I must say it's really helpful, it gives me a hard time.

Many thanks in advance for your help and a very good end of the week to all of you.

Clement

• 1. Re: how to create a subcategory in fmp 9? please help
          philmodjunk

Can the same member be part of more than one subcategory?

You can add a text field and format it with a value list of sub categories. You can use radio buttons if they are only to be part of one subcategory. If several selections may be possible you can use check boxes.

Use manage | Value lists... to create a value list--you can just type in these values here using the custom values option.

You can then define a text field in your table and add it to your layout.

On the layout while in layout mode, select this new field and use Field /control | Setup... to change it from an edit box to either radio buttons or check boxes. (You could also use a drop down list or pop up menu if you prefer.) You'll find a drop down list of value list to select from to specify your new value list in the field/control | Setup dialog box.

• 2. Re: how to create a subcategory in fmp 9? please help
            clement

Dear Phil,

It worked! Thank you so much for your help.

Have a great weekend!

All my very best

Clement