5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 3:33 PM by projay

How to create a unique list from records. See Pic.

projay

Title

Hello Everyone, just wondering:

-J

Unique_List.jpg

• 2. Re: How to create a unique list from records. See Pic.
          philmodjunk

if Steve's post doesn't resolve this for you, please describe your issue in much more detail. I can't tell if your list is a set of records or values in a repeating field. And there are many ways to produce a list that looks like what you have, but what happens behind the scenes can be vary different.

The second list could be a value list, records in a portal, records in a found set. The duplicates could be hidden, grouped so that each group of records appears as a single row of data or the duplicates could be deleted from your table.

• 3. Re: How to create a unique list from records. See Pic.
            projay

It is a set of records and "NOT" a repeating field. I just want to be able to show the unique items in another field in a list view. What Steve had is good but I don't have the option of RemoveDuplicates maybe be because I am using Fm10.

Thanks for the speedy reply

-J

• 4. Re: How to create a unique list from records. See Pic.
              philmodjunk

It's very important to let people know what version you are using when you are using an older version of the software. It get's pretty irritating to spend some time making a suggestion only to find out that it won't work because the person needing help doesn't have a new enough version to use the features required.

If I recognize Steve's link, it's to a site listing custom functions and they require FileMaker Advanced in order to install into a Filemaker database file.

But here's a simple way to list all the unique values in a list view:

Create a new layout based on the same table occurrence as that of your original layout showing all the records. Delete the Body layout part and add a sub summary layout part. Select the text field shown in your example as the "when sorted by" field. Put your text field inside this sub summary layout part. Return to Browse mode and sort your records by this text field in order to make the sub summary layout part visible.

(While in Layout Mode, you can select part set up from the Layout menu in order to add, remove or change layout parts.)

• 5. Re: How to create a unique list from records. See Pic.
                projay

Well that was easy enough.  Thanks.

-J