AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to deal with label formats for Individuals, Couples w/ Same Last Name and Couples w/ Different...

Question asked by NancyatUCM on Jun 16, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 by NancyatUCM

Title

How to deal with label formats for Individuals, Couples w/ Same Last Name and Couples w/ Different Last Names?

Three fields in our database are: individuals, couples w/ same last name, and couples with different last names, (so for example, we find for “Individual=Yes” to get that group). When we do a large merge letter mailing, we have to do a separate merge for each of these categories so that the addresses/salutations read correctly, and 3 more separate merges for the mailing labels for those categories. (ie. We have 3 different letter formats and 3 mailing label formats). When we start finding for additional criteria (donor vs. non donor, etc) it can become a time-consuming large number of merges.

I am wondering if there is a way to do this more efficiently.  Is this is something we would use a script for? (I haven’t really worked w/ scripts yet, so please be thorough in any instructions!). Would we need to worry about the merges taking a really long time if we ran a script?  This must be a common problem and I’m wondering how others have solved it.

Here are some of our formats: (sorry screenshot cut off part of some words - for couples different it is: Title, FirstName, LastName and SpouseFirstName SpouseLastName)

Merge_Letter_Formats.png

Outcomes