AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to deal with this error message?

Question asked by mattb on Sep 22, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 by mattb

Title

How to deal with this error message?

This record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window.

I have 2 layouts, both associated with the same table, although each layout has input boxes for a different subset of fields.  If the user calls up one layout, starts entering material in an input box, then calls up the other layout on top without closing the first layout, the first keystroke into the first input box yields this message.  

I've tried various things including issuing "Commit records", "Flush Cache" and even "Set Error Capture On", but nothing seems to remove this error message.  

I do notice that if I move the cursor out of the input box on the first screen (by clicking on the background area), then call up the 2nd layout on top of the first one that this error does not occur, but the program is definitely not happy if the cursor is left in a field before switching layouts.

I cannot believe that FMP won't allow editing of 2 different fields on 2 different layouts where the fields come from the same table (it's a 1-record table by the way).  This seems like a severe limitation to me.  There has to be a way around this without forcing the user to close the first layout before opening the second one.

Enlighten me, please!

Matt Bloomfield

Outcomes