4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 11:21 AM by carnicelli

How to define more precision on merge fields

carnicelli

Title

How to define more precision on merge fields

Is it possible to configure more decimals on merge fields in order to get more precision with currency outputs ?

I'm using FM13

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to define more precision on merge fields
          philmodjunk

Can you provide and example of what you need?

By merge field do you mean a <<table::Field>> object on your layout?

Do you need, say more than two decimals to show in that field?

Such can be specified using data formatting from the inspector's data tab where you can specify different numbers of fixed decimals, but there are some limitations that can apply if you have a text block with more than one number type merge field and they don't all need the same format.

• 2. Re: How to define more precision on merge fields
            carnicelli

Exactly  " <<table::Field>> " Sorry about my translation I use FM in portuguese and I'm trying to guess the proper name of this function.

I have a form on my finance system to input all data from Brazilian Invoices, which are generated on the Government specific site. A have other print layout  with "merge fields" in order to output in a press of a bottom all info needed regarding the service description  and values and taxation of the related invoice.

I've tried to select these merge fields on inspector in order to avoid results to round up or down, but by any reason this option is disable.

Another question is if there's a way to export this output as a Text to be paste on other documents in order to create an standard.

Thank you for your prompt response.

• 3. Re: How to define more precision on merge fields
              philmodjunk

Your translation was correct, but some people use the term "merge" to mean something else--such as in a calculation field that combines (merges) data from several other fields and/or records.

Where many people encounter a problem with formatting a merge field is that they try to use the text tool to select just the one merge field and then try to specify a data format for it only to find that the options are not available. I would guess that is what you tried to do here.

To select a data format for a merge field:

Enter layout mode.

Click the text object that contains the merge fields just once. You want to see the "selection handles" (small black boxes on the edges). You don't want to see the text cursor inside the text object so do not double click it and do not select the text tool and then click it.

Then go to the Inspector and you should find that you can select a currency data format and specify the number of decimal places that you want.

But please note that any data format that you select in this way applies to all fields of the same data type found inside the same text object. If you have one number field inside this text object that is not currency and another that is currency, then you can't select currency formatting for one and not the other. This limitation sometimes leaves you no choice but to define a calculation field that formats the field as needed and then you substitute the calculation field for the number field as a merge field inside your block of text.

And also please note that sometimes, people use merge fields where they don't have to. Fields can be made "read only" without using merge fields. Fields can slide up or left without using merge fields. The main reason to use merge fields is if you need to seamlessly combine the data in your fields with text that you place on the layout such as:

The amount of this invoice is <<Invoice::amt>>. Thank you for your business.

• 4. Re: How to define more precision on merge fields
                carnicelli

it Just Happened.

Thank you very much for your attention.