10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

How to deploy

Coolguy

Title

How to deploy

I have created an apllication database using Filemaker pro Advanced version 10.0v3 with extension .fp7 using Mac 10.5.8.I need to install this database in Unix system as well as in Vista system .How can i do that?

Shall i need to install filemaker advanced version in unix& vista or ....Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to deploy
          philmodjunk

For Vista, you'll need to install a windows version of Filemaker. For Unix, don't know if that can be done or not.

• 2. Re: How to deploy
            Coolguy

You mean i need to buy one more licence for vista. Can i convert .fp7 file to instalation file like .exe file for windows

• 3. Re: How to deploy
              philmodjunk

Coolguy wrote:

You mean i need to buy one more licence for vista. Can i convert .fp7 file to instalation file like .exe file for windows

Check your install CD. For my copy of FMP adv, I got installers for both platforms.

Changing a file name to include .exe won't work.

• 4. Re: How to deploy
                Coolguy
                   i purchased FMP adv through online. I think you missunderstood me. what i mean is if we are developing an application (in any language eg:- Vb.net,c etc) after that we will convert it into executable file.Then we can install the executable file into any machine(Vista,Xp,mac etc)...same as that can i change or convert the application file .fp7 into executable file.
                • 5. Re: How to deploy
                  TKnTexas

Since you have FMP 10 ADV you can create a Windows runtime.  It will not be a single file, but a folder of files (*.exe, *.dll, and whatever extension is used for the database portion (default is usr).  Just copy that to the Vista machine and create a short cut to the EXE file. 

If you want to run on a Unix machine, that is not directly do-able since FMP is only for Mac and Win. 

• 6. Re: How to deploy
                    philmodjunk

Your online install web page included download links for both Mac and Windows versions of the FMP 10 adv software. If you contact customer service they can re-send you the link to the download page.

" if we are developing an application (in any language eg:- Vb.net,c etc) after that we will convert it into executable file."

This sounds like you are creating your application to access data stored in a filemaker pro database file. If so, you can certainly copy the database file from Mac to Windows without any change of the file's name. Changing the file's suffix from .fp7 to .exe would make absolutely no sense here as the database file will not be your executable file on either computer.

If you want to use FMP advanced to release a runtime version of the DB for both Mac and Windows platforms, then you will need to:

Install Filemaker Advanced on one machine of each OS.

Bind the same database files with the same binding key on both machines. (Bind it on one, copy the file to the other machine and bind it again).

Now you have one set of runtime database files that can be installed on either Mac Or Windows machines.

The above process is pretty well documented in a PDF that should have downloaded with your install of FMP 10 advanced.

• 7. Re: How to deploy
                      Coolguy
                         How can i create windows runtime from Mac .I dont how to create windows runtime.Please help me.Can give some inforamtion about how can run FMP in unix
                      • 8. Re: How to deploy
                        philmodjunk

Coolguy wrote:
                        How can i create windows runtime from Mac.

You can't. You have to create the windows run time on a windows computer. You can use the same database files, but the process has to be performed on a Windows machine to get a Windows runtime and on a Mac machine to get a Mac runtime. Each method produces a "crippled" copy of the filemaker program that is configured (bound) to only open the database files you specify. The documentation for this came with your download.

"Can give some inforamtion about how can run FMP in unix"

I don't think this can be done.

• 9. Re: How to deploy
                          Coolguy

I am little bit confused about to deploy the application. I need to keep the database in vista sytem and need to acces the database in Mac as well as vista. We have 5 members two of them are using mac and rest using vista and they are in one network .Shall i need to instal FMP advan in each system then create separate runtime solutions by binding the database?

I have purchased FMP adva for Mac.Can i install it into more than one Mac machine.

Thanks in Advance!

• 10. Re: How to deploy
                            philmodjunk

That changes the situtation. There are built in limitations to what you can and can't do with Filemaker Runtime solutions. One of the major limitations is that you cannot share the files between multiple computers. Filemaker Inc expects you to either purchase a separate copy of Filemaker for each computer or to use one of several options to web publish the database whereupon users can use a web browser application to access the database.