2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 8:01 AM by philmodjunk

How to disable the add new record button in table view (filemaker 11 pro)

JOELPECK

Title

How to disable the add new record button in table view (filemaker 11 pro)

Hello.  When I'm working with my data in table view, there is the annoying "plus" button that appears on the ghost bottom row.  I frequently need to click the left margin to select a record I want to work with - but if I inadvertently hit that plus button I get a new unwanted record.  The Edit->Undo function doesn't work.  I never want to create a new record this way - I have my own custom buttons, or I can go to the top menu for this.  Is it possible to delete or disable either the plus button - or the entire left margin - I can select my records using my own fields; i don't need filemaker's left hand margin.

thanks in advance - sorry for sounding bitter, its just happened too many times today! :)

• 1. Re: How to disable the add new record button in table view (filemaker 11 pro)
          lijnbach

Hai Joel,

That is (as far as I know) the way FM works standard with table view. I only use "table view" for myself as developer and check data. For users you should build a "list view". In list view you can create buttons, and hide buttons the way you like it.

But, also in table view you can use "previous version" (record) to undo the unwanted record. (You even can built a button for that function).

Hans Lijnbach

• 2. Re: How to disable the add new record button in table view (filemaker 11 pro)
            philmodjunk

In FileMaker Advanced, You can install a custom menu that does not have the New Record menu option and then no one, not even a full access user, can add a new record on this layout. (though full access users with FileMaker Advanced can temporarily install the standard menu and then they can create a new record. If you want the users to be able to add new records you can set up the view option for table view inside Layout setup to show the header and put a button in the header to perform a script to create the new record.