2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2012 1:23 AM by michaelneale

how to display chart and table of data on same report

michaelneale

Title

how to display chart and table of data on same report

Hi All

I'm new to filemaker and databases and I'm trying to set up a database for a large amount of varied data including stock inventory and environmental monitoring data. I have got the basic tables sorted out and some relationships Part of what I have been asked to do is be able to extract a set of data from between two dates and display the raw data on a page along with a graph of that data. The table contains the date monitoring was done and then a reading at 12 different sample points (C1 - C12). I have managed to follow the instructions here (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5912/~/how-to-write-a-script-that-finds-a-range-of-dates-in-filemaker-pro) to extract a subset of data between two dates but don't know how to present this subset of data on a report with a graph of the data (Y axis number of counts, X axis the 12 sampling points and then a line for each date).

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks

Michael

• 1. Re: how to display chart and table of data on same report
          philmodjunk

Option 1) Put the chart object in the header and put the data fields in a narrow body layout part. View the layout with the View as List option.

Option 2) Use a portal to the data table to list your data points. The relationship or a portal filter can be used such that only points falling in your date range will appear. The chart would then be set up to chart points from the related table. (This doesn't work if your chart charts subtotals from groups of records.)

Option 3) With a script, you can use getLayoutObjectAttribute to copy the chart's image into a container field--which can be useful if you need to include several very different charts on the same report page.

• 2. Re: how to display chart and table of data on same report
            michaelneale

Thanks Phil.

As I say I new to all this so I will go away and read my manual and try and follow your suggestions and probably be back in a couple of days if I can't get it to work.