9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 2:19 PM by DeanChristiansen

How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View

DeanChristiansen

Title

How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View

Thanks in advance - I seached high and low for how to do this - apologies if it's trivial.

I have a Company form that has a tabbed section, where in one of the tabs I would like to display related Employee records, but to have the display be in Table View. This seems like it should be easily done, however, the only view I can get is a 'table-like' appearance by creating a line of fields - instead of a spreadsheet like appearance of all of the related table's records.

Said differently - I'd like to have the related table appear as an embedded spreadsheet in a portal, on a tab.

Any suggestsions?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
          philmodjunk

How on earth would you get a "tabbed section" to be in table view?

As you have discovered, Table View does not support the use of portals. But it also does not support the use of tab controls so that bit has be puzzled.

On the other hand, List View does support portals (and tab controls) and you can set up a list view layout with most of the same features you can get in table view.

Note: I rarely allow general users access to a Table View. While it is very useful to me as the developer for getting a quick over view of the data in the database as part of the process of analyzing how the database is or is not working, some of the features--particularly those for resizing and repositioning columns can give general users the ability to get into trouble--resulting in tech support calls I'd rather not have. 99% of the time, I can get the "table like" view of the data that I need from List View, but without those features that can be a source of trouble for my user base.

• 2. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
            DeanChristiansen

Phil - thanks for the quick response - you've reversed my use of tabs. Please see the attached form, with a tabbed section, with a portal, which has a list that has been created for the fields of my related Employee table.

I will much prefer being able to update my employee records in a Table View format within the portal. Let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

Dean

• 3. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
              philmodjunk

What I see in the portal IS a "table view format". A table-like arrangement of fields with one row for each related record is the default appearance for a portal. but this can be changed to produce formats that are quite different from the default appearance.

What is it that you need to do differently within that portal from what you show in the screen shot?

PS. Portals inside of portals also are not supported, but once again, there are alternative approaches that can be used...

• 4. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                DeanChristiansen

Appreciate your taking a further look.

This is NOT a Table View - it is at best a Table-like View.

The usefulness of the tabbed section is limited - I have to try to squeeze the fields that I want to include, and even simply not include some important fields.

Rather, what I would like to do, is have the underlying Table of related fields be presented simply in Table View (ie as a spreadsheet like presentation) within the Portal, including field headers at the top etc. I'm beginning to gather that this is not possible?

• 5. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                  philmodjunk

What you show in your screen shot will be a spreadsheet like view of your data with each record a row in the portal when you leave layout mode and view the layout in browse mode or preview it. Adding column headings is simply a matter of using the text tool to add them just above the top boundary of the portal.

Would I be correct that you want to horizontally scroll the data in the portal, dynamically resize columns, add/remove columns in the portal?

Then, no, these features are not available in a portal. Best compromise that I can think of would be to add several more tabs with the position and size of the porta exactly the same, but with different combinations of fields so that you can get several different views of the data by clicking different tabs.

You might also consider a list view or table view layout based on the portal's table. With a bit of effort, buttons in the header can be set up to look and function like tabs in a tab control if that is desirable. (There's an option for table view in layout setup that will show the layout's header.) But clicking them actually changes layouts instead of selecting different panels in a tab control. The other part of this process is using a go to related records step or a scripted find to limit the records shown to just those related to a specific parent record from the table on which your current layout is based.

• 6. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                    DeanChristiansen

Just to clarify further, below is a clip of a similar form that I set-up in LibreOffice Base - where the related Employee records will populate a spreadsheet view with the heading etc.

Thanks for any ideas.....

• 7. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                      DeanChristiansen

I was interested to have - anyone - but preferrably someone from the Filemaker Pro development team - confirm that this functionality is NOT possible in Filemaker Pro?

If so will consider this thread closed - seems like a relatively simple element to have as a capability - and it should be on someone's development check list.

Anyone at Filemaker care to confirm?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

• 8. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                        philmodjunk

I've been using Filemaker products for more than 10 years. What you are asking for is not currently a feature of FileMaker Pro.

You might be interested in using the Feature Request Form.

• 9. Re: How to display related table records in a Portal - in Table View
                          DeanChristiansen

Thanks Phil - your time and comments above much appreciated. I'll submit a request.

Dean