3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2015 5:13 AM by Mark_M

How to efficiently transfer text information from one column to another (>100 records)

StellaKramer

Title

How to efficiently transfer text information from one column to another (>100 records)

Hi I am using FM pro 12 and am new to the program in general. In a subset of my records I have the assigned record IDs in the wrong column (coming from an Excel spreadsheet I should have looked at more carefully before importing). How can I transfer the field content efficiently to the correct column for >100 records?

Thank you and merry Christmas,

SK 

• 1. Re: How to efficiently transfer text information from one column to another (>100 records)
          philmodjunk

For safety sake, make a back up copy of your file first, then show all reocords or perform a find to  pull up a found set of the records to update.  Now you can use Replace field contents with the calculation option to copy the data from one field to the other.

• 2. Re: How to efficiently transfer text information from one column to another (>100 records)
            StellaKramer

Hi, thank you, but I forgot to specify that my data is text.

Again, what I want to do is:

in a subset of my data the column "stock number" is empty, while the information that would belong to that column (=the stock number "TEXT####") is in a column headed "comment". Of course I can easily isolate the subset by searching for "TEXT". However, using the "Records -> replace field contents -> replace with calculated result doesn't work, if thats what you meant.

Thank you, S.

• 3. Re: How to efficiently transfer text information from one column to another (>100 records)
              Mark_M

>

@Stella - could you post your calculation, that might help.  Are you getting an error?  The Replace via Calculation method is the most logical and it would be good to figure out why it's not working.

If you are in a hurry there is another method that can be used (try it in a backup copy first to check results).

1. Export three fields, Your Primary Unique Key Field, Stock Number Field, Comment field for the found set.
              3. Open the export file in Excel.
              5. Review the changes you want to make sure the result is the desired one.
              7. Delete the unused column so that only two remain, the key field and the field containing the data to be updated
              9. Change the name of the data field to be the field in the FM file where it belongs
              11. Do a file import from the file menu selecting the updated Excel file
              13. In the "Import Field Mapping" dialog box ensure you use "Update Matching Records in Found Set", that "Don't Import First Record (Contains Field Names)" is checked, the match the field names and set the Key field for "Matching Records based on this field".

>>>>