4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2012 5:17 PM by SwissMac

how to establish what quarter a date falls into

kilbot

Title

how to establish what quarter a date falls into

I'm creating a list view report and I want to be able to show text based on what quarter the record was made.

Example 

If the case was opened in 2/1/2009 then it would be listed as the 3rd quarter.

(third quarter is from 1/1/2009...3/30/2009) 

Is there a way to do this without having to incorporate the year so it can just keep going 

• 1. Re: how to establish what quarter a date falls into
          philmodjunk

Div ( Month (yourdatefield) , 4 ) + 1  will yield the quarter number.

If you want text you could use:

Let ( monthNumb = Month ( Yourdatefield ) ; Case ( monthNumb < 4 ; "First Quarter" ; monthNumb < 7 ; "Second Quarter" ; monthNumb < 10 ; "Third Quarter" ; "Fourth Quarter"))

• 2. Re: how to establish what quarter a date falls into
            comment_1

Since it seems your fiscal year starts in July, you need to make it =

Div ( Mod ( Month ( YourDate ) - 7 ; 12 ) ; 3 ) + 1

• 3. Re: how to establish what quarter a date falls into
              johnhorner

philmodjunk... i am trying to use the calculation you provided to generate which quarter a date falls into but it is not generating the correct quarter.  i am not sure what i am doing wrong.  i am wondering if the calculation itself might be incorrect?  for example, it corectly gives you the quarter for the first 6 months, but then it seems to return the second quarter for july, and then not until august does it give me the third quarter and then only december returns the 4th quarter... am i missing something?  please help!

• 4. Re: how to establish what quarter a date falls into
                SwissMac

I have a similar problem - and the text formula doesn't work for me. I used:

Let ( monthNumb = Month ( Yourdatefield ) ; Case ( monthNumb < 4 ; "First Quarter" ; monthNumb < 7 ; "Second Quarter" ; monthNumb < 10 ; "Third Quarter" ; "Fourth Quarter"))

but it only shows the result for the First Quarter and the Fourth Quarter; all other quarters are blank. Any suggestions?

TIA.