You have two issues, displaying the data while in browse mode and printing it. Each needs a different solution.
If you enter layout mode, you can resize the height of the portal row to be taller and then resize this field to fit the taller row. You can enable a scroll bar for the text field like you have selected for the case_summary field. You can also click into the field while in browse mode and it will pop out to display all the text if it is an editable field. You can also given the field a scroll bar.
Printing will be a problem. The best solution available is to not print from a portal. Instead, set up a list view layout based on your portal table. In this layout, you can place the portal fields in the body and the related fields from the parent record in the header and/or footer. You can size this field in the body to be many more lines of text tall than you think you will need, then use the sliding and visibility settings found on the inspector's position tab to set it to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part". This will produe a layout you can print that adjusts for the amount of text in this field.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Thanks for the answer. I did what you suggested and the browse mode works. I can't seem to get the list view "slide" to work. When I set it up with the fields in the body and the related field (name and inmate number) in the header, I get the name and number printed for the record selected. The body however seems to include the memo fields for the selected name/number and then coninue on to the next name. I can see as memos for as many as three names on a page. What I need is to get it to print only the memos for that name on the page(s). Thoughts?
You just have to pull up only the portal records needed for the given parent record. Put a button on the layout with the portal and set it up to either perform a find or use Go To Related Records to pull up only the records shown in the portal.