1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 3:06 PM by etripoli

How to export records from different tables to one txt file

Nard

Title

How to export records from different tables to one txt file

Hi,
      I am using file maker pro 11 ...new to File maker pro as well as designing database.

I defined fixed length fields (by setting maximum number of characters on the validation options) on different tables.

Here are the difficulties I am having:

1. I want the contents of records from different tables to be exported into one text file including null values. meaning, if I don't have any value in any of the fixed length fields, I want those fields' contents to be seen as blank space on the txt file. How do I do it?

2.  How would I be able to append records from different tables in one txt file? I don't want the records to be appended by page. what I want them to be, is just to be appended next to the previous exported record value.

Please advice!

• 1. Re: How to export records from different tables to one txt file
          etripoli

Null values will be exported as just that - a null value.  To get records from one table to be appended to the export of records from another table, within Filemaker, requires the use of an additional table.  You'd need to setup fields in this 'export' table to match your source tables, then import from each of your source tables into the export table.  Then, export from this table.

Here's a question - why is your data in separate tables if you want them to be exported together?  And, what is your export file format?