8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 3:24 PM by philmodjunk

How to export tables and data

JensJensen

Title

How to export tables and data

I would like to get all the tables with the data of a filemaker project. Originally FileMaker 12 is installed on a Mac. The menu "Data Export" is grey. I can save a single table in PDF but not in Excel and I get only some data of a table e. g. a table with adresses has 20 colums but I get only 5 which are displayed in a list.

I have also a backup of the data made on the Mac. I tried to open this file in FileMaker 13 on Windows, but I get a message like "this is not a filemaker file or it is damaged".

I need all the data for a new mySQL database.

Thanks

Jens

• 1. Re: How to export tables and data
          philmodjunk

There is no such menu called "Data Export" in a standard FIleMaker File. This would appear to be a custom menu. One normally would select an export or "save as" menu option from the File Menu.

Unless you have full access privileges so that you can change the design of the file, you may not be able to export the data from this file.

I have also a backup of the data made on the Mac. I tried to open this file in FileMaker 13 on Windows, but I get a message like "this is not a filemaker file or it is damaged".

Pehaps the file needs the .FMP12 file extension added to the file name.

• 2. Re: How to export tables and data
            JensJensen

Sorry I have a German version and I don't know the exact name of this item. But this is not custom. It is between Data import and Data save under the first (Windows) menu Item "File". So it is what you call export. But how can I use this Menu it is grey and I can't click on it.

Ok I understand it is not possible to export the database. Is that true?

I have tried the file extension (now: FileMaker.fmp12) but even if I doubleclick FileMaker opens and says something like the filter for this fileformat is not installed.

• 3. Re: How to export tables and data
              philmodjunk

You can export any table and it's data from FileMaker. You can use Export Records to export to files of type Excel, tab, csv, XML....

You can use the "save as" option to also save from FileMaker into either an Excel or PDF file.

If the menu options are greyed out, either you have a paused script, a custom menu or your access privileges do not permit exporting the data. If you can open the file with a full access password, and either cancel or continue any possibly paused script, you will not have such limitations.

Your "back up" file appears not be be a Filemaker file with the format that comes with the .fmp12 file extension. What file extension did it have before you chnaged it to .fmp12? could it have been .FP7, the extension for FileMaker files created from versions 7 thru 11?

• 4. Re: How to export tables and data
                JensJensen

Save to Excel is also grey. Save to PDF does not save a whole table just some colums. 

The file I got has no extension. But when I open it in an editor I found the words book mark Applications FileMaker Pro and the File is 1.2 MB big.

• 5. Re: How to export tables and data
                  philmodjunk

Save as PDF "prints" the current layout to a PDF file. To put different data into that PDF, change the design of the layout or change to a different layout.

Save to Excel is also grey.

Please refer to my last post for possible reasons for that.

The file I got has no extension.

How did you "get" this file? I suggest the following experiment: Give it the .FP7 file extension (and OS settings can keep a file's extension from being visible). Launch FileMaker Pro without trying to open this file. Then use Open from the File menu to open this file. If it's a .FP7 file, FileMaker will create a copy of the file converted to the .FMP12 file. But it's very, very likely that your back up file will be limited in the same manner as your current copy. This will only resolve the issue if your current file is damaged and your back up copy is not damaged.

• 6. Re: How to export tables and data
                    JensJensen

the file I got is from a backup with time machine. It seems it is the complete backup. We are searching for a .fmp12 file but can not find one. Instead we have found several .ex files which I can convert with filemaker. But they have only one table row.

• 7. Re: How to export tables and data
                      JensJensen

Sorry, step by step I get more information. The time machine does not backup the data. And it is not FM Pro it is FM Server on a different Mac. So please apology the confusion.

And now we know that there is no backup for the database.

• 8. Re: How to export tables and data
                        philmodjunk

That seems amazing that you'd have a file hosted by server but no backups as one of the reasons for hosting a file from server is to schedule regular back ups of the data. Backups that can then be backed up in turn by utilities such as Time Machine. (You don't use a utitlity to back up open DB files as the backups thus created will not have been properly closed and might be damaged by the back up process.)

Some "save as" options are not available from  a file that is hosted over the network. You have to pull a copy on to your local machine and open it with FileMaker Pro or Advanced before you gain those options. But the Export Records menu option should be functional.