1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 4:05 PM by philmodjunk

How to fill one field with data from many different fields

luisprat

Title

How to fill one field with data from many different fields

Hi,
           I´m doing an invoicing database, but I need to be able to get the PART_No. field from different databases. I have different DB for different products and I need to be able to get the values from all products into just one.

The problem is that I have many products in different DB´s because they are very different things but I wanted to know if it possible to get the data from this one field (P/N) so I can make only one DB of all products.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to fill one field with data from many different fields
          philmodjunk

I suggest moving more than just the Part Number. At minimum, set up a table with both the part number and a name or description field to identify it. In addition, examine all your different tables for any other items of data that are common to all and set up fields for them as well.

Then use Import records to import this data from each separate table one at a time. Add a field that identifies the source table for the info and make sure it is populated with identifying data. Also set up a serial number field or text field with auto-entered Get ( UUID ) value to serve as a primary key. Then link your existing separate tables to this now combined table by this primary key value. You'll likely need to temporarly link the tables by part number until, then use that relationshiop to update a new foreign key field with the needed value from the matching record's primary key in the new table.