5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2014 9:16 AM by philmodjunk

How to filter a layout view??? arghh

petergraham

Title

How to filter a layout view??? arghh

Hi Guys

This must be really simple but its driving me nuts. I want to view a layout but only want to view records where a particular field in not empty. The idea is i press a button on one layout and it opens another layout but filters on a particular field entry. Can someone please help me.

I eagerly await any comments !

Im used to access and can do this so easily and im sure this is as easy as it gets but im stumped.

Thanks

Peter

• 1. Re: How to filter a layout view??? arghh
          davidanders

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1466/kw/omit%20record%20with%20empty%20field

Finding Records With Empty Values In A Field

ISSUE:
               How do I find records within my database that have no values entered in a specific field?
               RESOLUTION:
               There are several ways to do this, by entering find mode and using the symbols that are available in the status area, or by simply typing any of the following symbols in the specific field:
               =
               ==
               "" (also check the Omit checkbox in the status area)
               EXPLANATION:
               These symbols instruct FileMaker Pro to find emptyfields.

• 2. Re: How to filter a layout view??? arghh
            philmodjunk

Yes, but peter graham wants records where a field is NOT empty. To do that, perform a find where you put an * in the field and all records where the field is empty will be excluded.

The script performed by your button to open the window can include a find with this criteria to filter the results. There are also ways to set up a layout based script trigger to constrain any found sets produced by user initiated finds to just those where this field is not empty--but that may not be needed here.

• 3. Re: How to filter a layout view??? arghh
              petergraham

Guys

Really appreciate the help but that doesnt help me. I want to write a script so that when im on one layout i can press a button and it will show records on another layout where a specific field is blank. In access i would simply run a query and say "in not null" in the specified field and link my form to this query. This would take me 2 seconds in access but i dont know how to do this in filemaker. I appreciate "*" brings back all not null fields but some help on how to incorpaorate this into a script would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks again

Peter

• 4. Re: How to filter a layout view??? arghh
                hbrendel

Try "omit" instead of "find"

• 5. Re: How to filter a layout view??? arghh
                  philmodjunk

But your original post asked:

but only want to view records where a particular field in not empty.

If you want all records where the field is empty, follow DavidAnders advice--put a lone = in the field. As long as this field is defined in the same table that you select as the basis for the layout, that will work.

For examples of scripted finds, see: Scripted Find Examples