1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 9:17 AM by philmodjunk

How to filter parts for different layouts

user14040

Title

How to filter parts for different layouts

I am trying to only show parts that is related to different layouts.

I have a field report that has a portal that contains all parts in my parts table, using a drop down menu I choose which part I want to use.

What I need to do now is separate certain parts for each layout but I dont know where to start.

I though if I filter the parts in the portal it will filter out all parts that are not set as "Field Report" but when I use the drop down menu I still see parts that I only want to see in another layout.

I am using a foreign key in my dropdown menu to choose parts. Also I added a field in the parts section called layout_identifier and I entered the layout name I want it to be associated with in the field, but the portal filter did not work within the dropdown menu.

thanks 

• 1. Re: How to filter parts for different layouts
          philmodjunk

A portal filter will have no effect on what values are listed in a value list such as you have discovered with your drop down list. What you appear to need is a conditional value list that restricts the values listed to a subset of the total values that would otherwise appear in the list. Here are some links on the topic:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The  next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.