6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 12:27 AM by LM

How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !

LM

Title

How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !

I've this find and replace in a DB of FM 11 PRO (MAC OSX):

CercaeSost ( type ; ["city" ; "city.png"] ; ...... [ "" ; "pointpink.png"] )

Last of sequence must search the NULL or empty value in the field ancd substitute with pointpink.png.

HOW TO DO SO ??

If I do a search I can use simply "=" but how to use it on search and replace ?

Thank you so much, I've tried all before to ask... : "", "NULL", .... but nothing works !

Fabrizio

• 1. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
          Mystick

you could find the empty records using search with "="

and then replace the value with a looping script ....

personnally I prefer changing my values with scripting because I never succeed in doing exactly what I want with the "find and replace" menu...

• 2. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
            mrvodka

1. Make backup of file.

2. Find records with empty field values as you already did with "="

3. Click into the field once you have a returned found set.

4. Go to the Records Menu --> Replace Field Contents

5. Replace with calculated result using a calc of: "pointpink.png"

• 3. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
              MikhailEdoshin

You're trying to use a function that replaces substrings in a string. It won't work with fields. To work with fields in a found set you need to use a menu command like Records - Replace Field Contents or Edit - Find/Replace. If you want this automated, you need to write a script that uses the corresponding script steps.

• 4. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
                raybaudi

Ciao Fabrizio

prova con:

Case(
                IsEmpty ( type ) ; "pointpink.png" ;
                Substitute ( type ; ["city" ; "city.png"] ; ......  )
                )

P.S.: next time use the english name of the function here because they can't understand "CercaeSost"

• 5. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
                  LM

Thank you all, grazie Daniela come sempre.

I did try with a script before posting, but it was always the same, I cannot add the correct value for "zero" field.

Anyway the last example works.

I think I have to find some advanced book about filemaker, as example I think there's somethin more fast than the Search and replace, maybe with related tables, but I cannot use them.

I work with a big table from Wikipedia, it contains all info about points of interests, but I need to export just few fields:

lat and long

the correct web address (I need to merge one field with a prefix: ex Coliseum become: "http://en.wiki.com/coliseum"

the correct audio file: quite the same, but with suffix ".mp3"

and the last is to add to exch category the correct icon, as I asked to you.

Now I have the correct table, with all my needings, and I just have to export it with a script, in a csv file.

Sometimes some fields are exported without value. I'm not sure, but it seems to happen when the field is a "calculate" field.

I'll do some tests on this.

Anyway thank you to all, each request add something in my knowledge of Filemaker....

Fabrizio

• 6. Re: How to find EMPTY / NULL ??!! Please help !
                    LM

DanielE, pardon !