3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 3:31 PM by philmodjunk

How to find use of function in all scripts

SteveKeiser

Title

How to find use of function in all scripts

I am making the switch from FM12 to FM13. There are some functions and script steps that work differently in FM13. I would like to do a search through all scripts to determine if I have used a particular script step or function. Is that possible?

• 1. Re: How to find use of function in all scripts
          philmodjunk

There is? what functions/script steps work differently? (those functions/script steps that have a different name in 13 should show with the updated name when you open the file in 13--no need to track down and make manual changes to them...

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a Database Design Report of your file and do a text search of the report to find instances of the named script step or function.

And there are a number of third party produced tools that can assist in this. Many work from the XML format report that can be generated from Advanced's DDR.

• 2. Re: How to find use of function in all scripts
            SteveKeiser

It is my understanding that the Export to Excel no longer supports .xls saves, and Save to pdf works differently by assuming a path to the documents folder. The GetLayoutObjectAttributes(), Get(TriggerCurrentTabPanel), Get(TriggerTargetTabPanel) have been renamed--but from what you say, I guess I don't have to worry about them. Thanks so much for the info on the Database Design Report. There have been other times when I wanted to know where I have used certain things, and this will help in the future.

• 3. Re: How to find use of function in all scripts
              philmodjunk

getlayoutobjectattribute is unchanged, still named the same. But you may be thinking of a new function that can extract meta data from a container field. It's brand new so not one you have to track down.

PDF's still save to the same location as your database file unless you use a $Path variable to specify a different location.

So that leaves Save as Excel as the only thing you need to check on.

(When searching a DDR for a layout, field, table occurrence with a generic name, I sometimes rename the field by putting YYY or XXX as the first letters of the name before generating the DDR as a way to more easily find instances of that object.)