3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 3:58 AM by mm2017

How to Flag individual records

JohnTennock

Title

How to Flag individual records

I need to allow users without edit permissions to use normal find processes to filter a database down to a mangeable number of records then browse through these while discussing each of them with a client (by telephone) and flagging those that have information relevat to the client's needs. The flagged records will later be emailed to the client.

To achieve this I have created a cleck-box field that the operator can click in to togglethe flag on/off.

The problem with this approach is that it requires that the operator have edit priveleges, which then introduces the risk that they will change other data in the database.

Solutions would be:

1. To give the operator edit rights to change only the one field (i.e. the 'flag' field).

2. To use some other method of 'flagging' records that allows the un-flagged records to be filtered out before emaiin or printing the results.

I can't figure out how to do either of these. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how best to achieve the desired result?

• 1. Re: How to Flag individual records
          philmodjunk

1) you can set up field behavior on this layout so that only the check box field permits access in browser mode. There's a check box for this in the Inspector's data tab.

2) Clicking a button instead of that check box, can perform a script that appends the primary key field's value to a list of such selected values in either a global field or a global variable. A scripted find or a relationship (if using the Global field option) can then be used to pull up a found set of the selected records. This second method also keeps the selections made by one user from being visible or interfering with the selections made by another user.

And clicking the button the first time can add the ID number to the list while clicking it a second time removes it--just like clicking a check box.

• 2. Re: How to Flag individual records
            JohnTennock

Many thanks, that was just what I needed

• 3. Re: How to Flag individual records
              mm2017

HI Phil,

Is there a script to do item 2 in your answer