2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 3:39 PM by rlegates

How to get "merge field" to pull correct record?

rlegates

Title

How to get "merge field" to pull correct record?

I'm not sure if my subject states my problem correctly:

I have two related tables, Projects and Jobs. I want information from Jobs to show up as a merge field in my Projects layout. However, there are multiple related Job records for each Project record, sorted by date. I want the merge field to reflect the newest Job record, but right now it is only reflecting the first Job record entered. How do I control this?

I'm using FileMaker Pro 8.0v1 on Mac OS 10.4.11

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to get "merge field" to pull correct record?
          philmodjunk

rlegates wrote:

I'm not sure if my subject states my problem correctly:

I have two related tables, Projects and Jobs. I want information from Jobs to show up as a merge field in my Projects layout. However, there are multiple related Job records for each Project record, sorted by date. I want the merge field to reflect the newest Job record, but right now it is only reflecting the first Job record entered. How do I control this?

I'm using FileMaker Pro 8.0v1 on Mac OS 10.4.11

Thanks

A merge field will show the same data that you would see if you simply used the field tool to place this same field directly on the layout--so that's not the issue.

Comment posted this info in another thread:

You can control which of multiple related records show by selecting the right options for your relationship.

1. Use Manage Database/Relationships to bring up your relationship graph.
          2. Double Click the line linking your Projects and Jobs.
          3. You have sort options here. Set your relationship to sort the Project side of the relationship by date in descending order.
          4. Now the most recent Project record should be visible

• 2. Re: How to get "merge field" to pull correct record?
            rlegates
               It worked, thank you!