3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 1:34 PM by Steve Wright

How to get a field to be evaluated constantly.

BERGSTEN

Title

How to get a field to be evaluated constantly.

I have a discount field where I can imput different percentages for whole invoices. The problem is, however, that I can't get the discount total field to recalculate automatically when I change something on the invoice.

The calculation reads:

Subtotal *  Discount

and the "Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty" box is checked

and the Do Not Replace Existing Value Box is UNchecked.

I have a tax checkbox that evaluates MA state sales tax and it recalculates every time something on the invoice changes.

The taxation calculation is the following:

If ( Taxable = "Yes" and Subtotal ; (Subtotal - Discount_Total) * .0625 ; 0  )

^^I did not write this, PhilModJunk did to help me, so I don't understand what exactly it does so that I would be able to use it for the Discount field.

Thanks!

FMP11, XP

totals.jpg

• 1. Re: How to get a field to be evaluated constantly.
          philmodjunk

Instead of using a number field with an auto-entered calcualtion, use a calculation field with this expression. This field should update automatically.

Auto-entered calculations do not update automatically if the value changed comes from a different table.

• 2. Re: How to get a field to be evaluated constantly.
            BERGSTEN

I have two questions about this:

1). If I change this now, will this change everything I've entered in this field thusfar?

2). Will I be able to enter a number of my own choosing in this field? (For example, if instead of giving someone a discount by percentage, I just wanted to give them a $100 discount).

• 3. Re: How to get a field to be evaluated constantly.
              Steve Wright

You could use a script trigger too.
              Set an OnObjectSave trigger on the discount field to run a script which is basically one line..

Set Field [Discount Total] SubTotal * Discount

You could also expand on this, such as 

If [not isempty (Discount Subtotal)

Show custom dialog [ "do you want to replace the existing discount total with the new figure of " & discount * total ]

If [get(LastMessageChoice) = 1]

Set Field....

[else]

Exit Script[]

[end if]

[else]

Set Field....

[end if]