1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 7:29 AM by philmodjunk

How to get around nested portals

PhilSlaughter

Title

How to get around nested portals

I'm trying to figure out a way to do this:

Our master table (Entities) contains records relating to different individuals, companies & properties.  Basically, anything with and address and phone number.  In order to keep track of which entities own which companies I created a second table "Ownership".  This table is a one to many relationship to the entities table based on on ID field that records which entities own other entities and how much they own (a percentage).

With a simple portal I can show this ownership.  My problem arrises when one company owns another company.  

The basis for the database is to provide what-if and tax planning analysis therefore, we need to be able to show, not only, the companies that own companies but also, all individuals that own those companies.  And, be able to calculate a total ownership for each individual.

example:

Company 1 is owned by

John Doe 33%

Jane Doe 33%

Company 2 33%

Company 2 is owned by

John Doe 25%

Dave Smith 75%

So... Company 1 is owned:

Jane Doe 33%

Dave Smith (75% of 33%) or 24.75%

John Doe 33% + (25% of 33%) or  41.25%

Now, any ideas on how to show on a layout or report the nested information?

We are using FMP 13 Advanced.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to get around nested portals
          philmodjunk

I apologize in advance for this demo file. It deals with the same issue, but in a very different context. In the case of this demo file, you can set up a "Bill of Material" (BOM) that lists components that can themselves have BOMs and those in turn, can also have BOMs.....

This demo file uses creative relationships and a recursive script to pull together all the "base level" materials needed for a given item in the inventory--which is very much the same issue as your recursive chain of one entity owning other entities. It's not the easiest to reverse engineer, but it does illustrate one approach to resolving this issue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78737945/RecursiveBOMDemo.fmp12