AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to get both a pop-up/look-up from another table, AND still get dynamic data from that table?

Question asked by NYCTC on Jan 24, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 by NYCTC

Title

How to get both a pop-up/look-up from another table, AND still get dynamic data from that table?

Hi, this is probably a simple thing but I'm still quite new to this:

I am trying to use a pop-up value list which looks up from a table of user-names. I've done this via a table (as opposed to a pre-defined val-list) so it's relatively easy for anyone to go to the "NewUser" table/layout and add a new UserName. So, for example a new person comes to work on a project, and we add a new record under the UserName Table. The new name is typed into the "name" field as "NameD".  Already there exists 3 other records in this table, "NameA", "NameB", and "NameC". 

Ok, so then from another Table/Layout called "NewProject", I want to have a field called "SelectUser" to lookup the value list from the table  "NewUser" and give the list of availableuser names to choose from.  No problem. 

Now, this part may sound stupid,  but later on sometime. We realize that one (or more) of the names originally entered into the "NewUser" table has been mis-spelled. If we go back and fix it, then the UserName as it was auto-entered in the "NewProject" table wont match any more.

How can I get the function of a look-up with a pop-up list, while still getting a dynamically updated data from the orignial table?

Outcomes